Sponsored
×
Pitt hires new offensive coordinator - The Pitt News

Pitt hires new offensive coordinator

Matt Canada will join Pitt's football coaching staff. TNS

MCT

MCT

By Chris Puzia / Assistant Sports Editor

Pitt has found its new offensive coordinator.

Former North Carolina State offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Matt Canada will join the Pitt football coaching staff to fill the same role, according to a Pitt release.

“I’ve known Matt and his family for a very long time and I feel very fortunate to bring him to Pittsburgh,” Narduzzi said in the release. “Matt is an innovative offensive mind, excellent teacher of quarterback play and strong recruiter and evaluator. He is a great leader who will provide our team and staff with a real spark.

Canada will replace Jim Chaney, who served as Pitt’s offensive coordinator for one season, left to take the same position at Georgia on Dec. 12.

“I’m thrilled and honored to join Pat Narduzzi and the Pitt football program,” Canada said. “I have tremendous respect for Pat as a person and professional. He truly does things the right way. Pat is building something special at Pitt and I’m ready to hit the ground running and begin contributing to the effort.”

Last season, NC State (7-6) averaged 33.7 points per game, tied for 39th best in the country. The team’s 201 rushing yards per game ranked 32nd.

On Jan. 2, NC State relieved Canada of his duties after three seasons with the school.

Prior to arriving at NC State, Canada was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for Wisconsin’s 2012 Big Ten championship team.

Pitt hires new offensive coordinator