Football: Pitt hires former NFL receiver Lewis as new wide receivers coach

By Nate Barnes | Sports Editor

Pitt football head coach Paul Chryst filled his coaching staff’s vacancy at the wide receiver coaching position with former National Football League wideout Greg Lewis. Lewis replaces Bobby Engram, also a former NFL wide receiver, who departed earlier this month to work as a wide receivers coach for the Baltimore Ravens. 

Lewis spent eight seasons in the NFL, playing six for the Philadelphia Eagles and two with the Minnesota Vikings. In his career, Lewis caught 152 passes for 1,992 yards and eight touchdowns. 

“Greg really impressed us with his knowledge, energy and desire to teach the game,” Chryst said. “His background as a college and NFL receiver will serve our players and staff well.”

Lewis, who is originally from Chicago, played his collegiate football at the University of Illinois, where he caught 103 passes for 1,456 yards and 12 touchdowns from 1999 to 2002. In his junior season, the Illini went 12-2 to win the Big Ten Championship and reach the Sugar Bowl. 

After retiring from the NFL, Lewis spent a year at the University of San Diego in 2012 and coached San Jose State’s receiving corps in 2013. Under Lewis, receiver Chandler Jones was named to the first-team All-Mountain West Conference team, and Tyler Winston was named the MWC Freshman of the Year.

Jones set a school record with 15 receiving touchdowns — a total that tied for third-best in the nation — and caught 79 passes for 1,356 yards. Winston amassed four 100-yard receiving games and recorded 58 receptions for 858 total yards.

Lewis is the fourth new coach to join Chryst’s staff this offseason, joining strength and conditioning coach Ross Kolodziej, secondary coach Troy Douglas and running backs coach John Settle. 

“It is a tremendous opportunity to work with a great coach in Paul Chryst at a storied program like Pitt,” Lewis said. “We are going to work very hard to build on the great history that Pitt has.”