Search begins for advising center director

With thousands of schedules hanging in the balance, Pitt is searching for a new director for the advising center at the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences.

Pitt commenced the search after the current director, Mary Beth Favorite, announced her retirement after 23 years in the position.

In an email, Pitt spokesperson John Fedele said John Twyning and Jessica Hatherill, two Pitt administrators, will lead the search. Twyning is the associate dean for undergraduate studies, and Hatherill is the senior administrative officer in the same department.

Fedele said the two will form a committee of staff from across the University, but will not hire an outside firm. Pitt hopes to fill the position by the end of the summer, Fedele said.

Favorite’s replacement, Fedele said, will be responsible for “refining how Dietrich School students are advised” by working with students and using technology to make the advising process better.

The new director’s main goal, Fedele said, should be making sure students complete their degrees.

“The Director of the Advising Center is responsible for ensuring that students have the best possible advising experience to enable them to achieve their academic, career and life goals,” Fedele said.