YouTube sensation performs on campus

The YouTube sensation that has reached millions of users across the world reached an audience beyond the computer screen on Tuesday night.

Clara Chung, also known by the stage name Clara C, performed for a group of Pitt students at an event hosted by the Korean Culture Association and the Asian Students Alliance. The event began at 8 p.m. in the WPU Assembly Room and consisted of a student opening act, Chung’s performance and a meet-and-greet opportunity with her.

Chung, a 25 year old who graduated from the University of California-Irvine, performed a mixture of original and cover songs for an audience of about 200 students. Chung’s performance at Pitt was her 10th stop on her tour across the country.

Shuqi Xiao, the public relations chair for the Asian Students Alliance, said that the club brings different artists to campus biannually in order for students to gather together and socialize while spreading Asian cultural awareness.

Christopher Chuong, president of the Korean Culture Association, said that both his group and the Asian Students Alliance decided to collaborate in order to draw in a larger crowd and promote the awareness that Xiao spoke of.

“It’s a very social event and it brings the community together,” Chuong, a junior, said. 

In addition to creating a space for socialization, Xiao, a sophomore, said that she hoped Chung’s performance would inspire students.

“You don’t see a lot of Asian music artists, but she’s able to integrate herself into the industry,” she said.

In these attempts to inspire Pitt students as starting musicians, the Korean Culture Association hosted an event on Oct. 5 at which students had the ability to compete for the chance to perform as Chung’s opening act.

This event, which took place at Nordy’s Place in the William Pitt Union, was open to all local university students. 

A CMU student who introduced herself by her stage name, Zee, had the chance to open for Chung with two unique mashups, integrating Korean hip hop with American pop.

Following Zee’s debut, Chung took the stage. After first engaging in conversation with her audience, Chung spoke about her newfound love for the city of Pittsburgh.

“It’s my first time here and it’s amazing,” she said. “I’m just gawking at every building.”

Chung began the evening with an acoustic version of her song “Heartstrings” while the audience clapped along with the beat.

Chung also performed older songs that have accumulated millions of hits on YouTube, such as “The Camel Song.”

Although Chung sang many of the songs she wrote herself and which appear on her recently released albums, she also covered some popular hits made famous by other artists, including songs by Macklemore and Janet Jackson.

Chung admitted that she was worn out to the eagerly cheering crowd.

“My voice is tired after 10 shows in 10 cities,” she said. “I wish I could give you guys my best.”