Chryst suspends two players, backup quarterback transfers

By Jasper Wilson

With training camp starting on Monday, three personnel matters have surfaced for the Pitt…With training camp starting on Monday, three personnel matters have surfaced for the Pitt football team.Backup quarterback Mark Myers will leave the program and transfer, while offensive lineman Juantez Hollins is suspended for the entirety of the the 2012 season and freshman wideout Chris Davis’ suspension will have him sit out the first week of camp for disciplinary reasons, all according to a press release issued by the team on Friday.

Hollins, a redshirt junior, started seven games last year and saw time in all 13 games for the Panthers.

The reason for his punishment was described in the release as a violation of team policy.

Myers redshirted his freshman year and then saw the field sparingly under former head coach Todd Graham. He played in four games while completing just one of four passes for five yards and punting once for 46 yards.

The team now has three eligible quarterbacks, given the impending transfer: starting redshirt senior Tino Sunseri, freshman Chad Voytik and sophomore Trey Anderson.

Redshirt sophomore Anthony Gonzalez, who has seen time as quarterback in the past,  has made the position switch to defensive back.