Pro-Palestine students set up a liberated zone in Schenley Plaza on Tuesday.
Op-Ed | An Open Letter to Chancellor Joan Gabel
By Contributors April 25, 2024

By Contributors April 25, 2024

Pitt football places eight on All-ACC teams

The ACC honors wide receiver Tyler Boyd and defensive lineman Ejuan Price as players for the ACSMA All-ACC football team. Wenhao Wu | Staff Photographer

Following an ACC loss on Friday to Miami, the Pitt football team received a conference “win” of sorts on Monday afternoon.

The Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association selected eight Panthers in total to either the first, second, third or honorable mention teams, recognizing them as some of the best players in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Star junior wide receiver Tyler Boyd and senior defensive end Ejuan Price earned All-ACC first team nods.

This was Boyd’s second consecutive appearance on the All-ACC first team, as he led the conference in receptions per game, 7.7, and receiving yards per game, 79.4, as well as becoming Pitt’s all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards. He garnered the third-most votes of any player in the ACC.

Price’s appearance comes after compiling 11.5 sacks on the season, the highest total by a Pitt player since 2000. His 0.96 sacks per game average ranked first in the ACC and fifth nationally, while his 19.5 tackles for loss ranked second nationally and second in the conference.

The second team representatives for Pitt featured a trio of key contributors to Pitt’s strong running game this season, as offensive linemen Dorian Johnson and Adam Bisnowaty joined running back Qadree Ollison for the honor.

Johnson and Bisnowaty helped pave the way for Ollison, who filled in for injured superstar running back and former ACC Player of the Year James Conner, to tally a 1000 yard season in his first collegiate season.

Two Panthers of disparate experience merited third team recognition, as true freshman safety Jordan Whitehead accompanied senior defensive tackle Darryl Render on the team.

Whitehead was a dynamo in his first season as a Panther, leading the team with 99 tackles. His 8.2 tackles per game ranked eighth in the ACC and was the top mark for all conference freshmen. He also thrived on offense as an occasional runner, rushing 10 times for 79 yards and two touchdowns.

Render only registered 16 tackles this season, but the Pitt captain was an invaluable presence in the Panthers’ solid run defense, providing a big, athletic body that was adept at closing up running holes.

Sophomore cornerback Avonte Maddox earned All-ACC honorable mention status, as he tallied three interceptions and 12 pass breakups on the season.

Following an 8-4 season, the Panthers are bowl-eligible, and will learn their bowl destination this week.