Men’s Basketball: Fans meet players, learn about heart health at Fan Fest

By Sean Corrado

Before the Pitt men’s basketball team debuted at the Blue-Gold scrimmage on Saturday, players,… Before the Pitt men’s basketball team debuted at the Blue-Gold scrimmage on Saturday, players, coaches and fans gathered in the lobby of the Petersen Events Center for the annual Fan Fest and the third annual Maggie Dixon Heart Health Fair.

Maggie Dixon, sister of Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon, died suddenly due to an arrhythmic episode to her heart in 2006, just weeks after coaching the Army women’s basketball team to its first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance.

Maggie Dixon is remembered through the Maggie Dixon Foundation, an organization which works to raise awareness about sudden cardiac death.

“Our number-one goal is to raise as much awareness as possible,” Ann Jarski, a representative of the Maggie Dixon Foundation, said. “The best thing we can do is let people know that this can be sudden.”

Jarksi, sitting at the front table at the health fair, reminded people of the importance of getting their hearts tested and handed out heart-healthy snacks such as pretzels and fruit.

The Heart Health Fair and Fan Fest were held at 2:30 p.m., with the basketball team signing autographs from 3 to 4 p.m. More than 6,000 people attended at least a portion of the day’s events, including the scrimmage.

Along the lower concourse, four tables of blood pressure screenings opposed two tables of CPR and AED demonstrations. There was also an “Ask the Dietician” booth where a dietician discussed symptoms, factors and ways to prevent sudden cardiac arrest.

The dietician proclaimed the four easiest ways to stay healthy were to “exercise, eat healthy, drink water and see your doctor regularly.”

The fair also provided health information for fans.

Cardiac Science, a medical device company, promoted its patented Rescue Ready technology and Powerheart AEDs. Cardiac Science’s website said that Rescue Ready “self-tests the battery, defibrillation pads and internal electronics [off the device] daily.”

The UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute handed out booklights, pens, chapstick and brochures, including pamphlets on helping people to quit smoking.

The foundation also provided information on the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Association (SCAA) of Western Pennsylvania and Jarksi reiterated that awareness — especially in the young — was the key of the operation.

Young people were well-represented at the event. Many children darted around the Petersen Events Center lobby.

With activities ranging from the large inflatable skee-ball set to the free face painting and the moon bounce arena, Fan Fest kept the children entertained.

The Pitt players and coaches were on hand at Fan Fest for a meet-and-greet with fans. The players were stationed at different points throughout the Petersen Events Center to talk to fans, take pictures and autograph Pitt gear.

Children, current Pitt students and  University alumni lined up to take a picture with freshman Khem Birch, have a basketball signed by senior Ashton Gibbs or shake Coach Jamie Dixon’s hand.

Colin Clark, a freshman at Pitt, said it was exciting to meet the Pitt players and to start looking forward to basketball season in “the midst of the current lackluster football season.”

Freshman Nick Ratsep agreed.

“It’s good to see everyone excited for our Pitt basketball team,” he said.