Pitt College Republicans honor 9/11 victims

By Tegan Hanlon

The Pitt College Republicans planted 2,977 American flags on the Cathedral lawn Friday… The Pitt College Republicans planted 2,977 American flags on the Cathedral lawn Friday night to commemorate each victim of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

The Young America’s Foundation, a national conservative group, provided the College Republicans with the flags, which students laid out on the Bigelow Boulevard side of the Cathedral.

The sight of thousands of flags stopped some students in their tracks. Some halted their talk with a friend, and others sat down their books to better appreciate the sight.

It is through memorials like this that students can come together and reflect on how America has changed, said Major Shawn Gralinski, an admissions and enrollment officer for Pitt’s ROTC program.

“Now, September 11 represents a day to reflect upon the soldiers and civilians who lost their lives and all people who have suffered or died defending the United States,” Gralinski said.

His opinion was echoed by many others throughout the evening.

“We’re doing this to show that we support that survivors,” said senior Rachel Feinstein, Pitt College Republicans president. “It allows students to stay connected.”

Members of the club lined the flags in rows as they chatted about current events and the importance of honoring the people who died in one of the most devastating attacks in American history. They said the flags also honor those who will fight to preserve American values in the future.

“The events of September 11 remind me on a daily basis as to why I put on the uniform, to defend the people of the United States and its values,” said junior ROTC Cadet Katie Muller.

At 8:45 a.m. exactly nine years ago, American Airlines Flight 11 hit the World Trade Center’s North Tower. Fifteen minutes later, a second plane struck the South Tower. More than 50,000 Americans worked in the two towers, a global center of commerce and trade.

Most Americans could only watch from their televisions as a third plane crashed into the Pentagon and a fourth fell outside Shanksville, Pa., after the last plane’s passengers took back control of the plane from hijackers.

First Lady Michelle Obama and former First Lady Laura Bush visited the Shanksville memorial site Saturday morning, both giving speeches about the need for Americans to join together during times of hardship.

On Friday evening at Pitt, many students recalled the confusion and panic brought on by the attacks.

“I was in fourth grade. I remember everyone getting out of class because their parents were scared,” freshman Sarah Carew said. “At the time, I didn’t understand what was going on.”

Most current Pitt students were in middle and elementary school when the attacks occurred. One Pitt junior, Matthew Roden, said news of the attacks brought his middle school to a halt.

“I remember when it happened I was in history class,” he said. “It froze the entire school.”