Pratt hopes to make it big with Pittsburgh release

By Julie Allerton

Nick Pratt has said enough about popping champagne and rolling weed… Middle Finger Music

Nick Pratt

Self-released

Rocks like: T.I. with Kanye’s beats

Grade: B

Nick Pratt has said enough about popping champagne and rolling weed. The Pitt graduate and rising hip-hop artist’s new project, Middle Finger Music, reveals that there is more — a lot more — to Pratt than the inflated and intoxicated bragging of many of today’s mainstream rap artists.

Middle Finger Music is all about Pratt. With tracks titled, “Perseverance,” and “Higher,” he has created a project with the purpose of carrying his career to the next level.

Hailing from Fort Worth, Texas, Pratt employs a southern slang that effects a smooth and articulate sound. His slow rhymes showcase what he calls, “lyrical effervescence,” and this accurate description is a testament to the intelligence with which Pratt raps — or, as he calls it, writes.

He uses his opening track, “The Cool is in Session,” to introduce himself, rapping over a jazz vocal sample: “DJ Premier appeared to me in a dream, he said a Texas boy can make it in the North if he believe.”

Throughout the album, in his fluid drawl, Pratt covers social issues, his inspirations and goals and his spiritual beliefs, with the thread through it all being his blatant confidence. Unfortunately, that self-focus sometimes gets a little repetitive.

The album features laid-back, more monological tracks as well as bass-heavy hit-worthy tracks produced by Delaware-based Brandon Lee. The slang and snares of “Feel Good,” featuring Muzik Jones Drew, are slightly reminiscent of Atlanta’s T.I.

Pratt’s confidence that he will make it big with his new release is summed up in this track as he raps, “I’m on that watch list, I’m hot this year, and my team gon’ make it to the top this year.”

Unfortunately, sometimes he gets too confident with his lyrical abilities. More experimental songs like “All My Love” don’t flow as well because they’re lacking in musicality.

Though he calls Texas home, Pratt has strong ties to Pittsburgh, as he has recently laid his foundation in performing by opening for now-huge Pittsburgh artists Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. Miller is featured in Pratt’s closing track, “Mac and Me.”

Along with Pratt’s self-proclaimed determination, confidence and lyrical talent, his break might be due to his choice of Pittsburgh for the setting of his debut. Like those before him, he’s trying to set the stage for national success.