“The Big Lebowski” celebration tops Weekly Rundown

Jonathon Watney

By John Lavanga / A&E Editor

Wednesday, Sept. 11

Savages with special guest Duke Garwood

Mr. Small’s Funhouse

400 Lincoln Avenue, Millvale

8 p.m.

$15

The London-based post-punkers who make up Savages seem to be channeling the dark melodies of older bands such as Joy Division in their music while remaining true to a punk-rock aesthetic. After releasing a well-received double A-side in 2012, the band followed up last May with a full-length album titled Silence Yourself. Though there’s an undeniably dark overtone to their music, it remains extremely listenable, and it’s hard to escape the feeling that this group is on the cusp of widespread notoriety.

Friday, Sept. 13

1st annual PGH Abides: “That’s not her toe, Dude.”

Bayardstown Social Club

3008 Penn Ave., Strip District

5 p.m.

$10

21+

Anyone whose love of “The Big Lebowski” ventures into the territory of obsession would do well to attend the Bayardstown Social Club’s inaugural Lebowski celebration, which will be loaded with live entertainment, including local bands The Harlan Twins and Charlie Hustle and The Grifters playing covers of the movie’s soundtrack. Those in attendance are asked to bring their own chairs and blankets but are going to receive a commemorative toe (with nail polish). In addition to the screening of the film, there will be a pub quiz, food from trendy spots such as Franktuary and Round Corner Cantina, a costume contest and of course, plenty of White Russians to go around.

HOLDUP in the HOOD

707 Penn Gallery

707 Penn Ave., Cultural District

Through Nov. 3, 2013

Hours vary

Free admission

This exhibition is based on artist and photographer Francis Crisafio’s work teaching self-portraiture to inner-city children in Pittsburgh’s Manchester neighborhood — a program he has run for 11 years. The photographs, drawings and prints explore issues of race, class and gender through the art of self-representation.

Saturday, Sept. 14

“Burlesque: The Introduction”

Cabaret at Theater Square

655 Penn Ave., Cultural District

10:30 p.m.

$10

21+

Though burlesque has all but died out in its traditional form as a humorous work of caricature — and then as a glorified strip-show — the once-popular art still survives in niche shows and venues around the country. In its current state, burlesque plays off all the old tropes, providing a mix of the racy and the tastefully theatric. “Burlesque: The Introduction” runs along these lines, giving watchers a taste of American burlesque with a lightly modern twist.