Women’s soccer, volleyball matches highlight upcoming weekend

The upcoming weekend should prove to be an exciting one for fans of Pitt Athletics as the Panthers see their first action in Atlantic Coast Conference play when Florida State visits Heinz Field on Monday. Meanwhile, the volleyball, cross country and women’s soccer teams all compete this weekend. 

Women’s Soccer: Friday vs. Bucknell, Sunday vs. Central Michigan

The Panthers (2-0) host a double feature this Labor Day weekend for Pitt fans after coming back from a match against No. 23 Ohio State. 

The team makes its home debut Friday against Bucknell and plays a noon game on Sunday against Central Michigan University at Ambrose Urbanic Field in the Petersen Sports Complex. The team has nine returning players including goalie Nicole D’Agostino and defenders Morgan Sharick, Jackie Poucel and Caroline Keefer, who help provide stability in the backfield for this youthful team. 

Friday’s game, “Student Welcome Back Night,” is a special treat for Pitt students. The first 200 students who enter the stadium receive a limited-edition inaugural ACC T-shirt. All students that enter get the chance to win $100 gift cards, Pitt gear, FSU vs. Pitt field passes and other prizes. 

Students get free admission and are able to receive OCC credit.

Women’s Volleyball at Tiger Invitational

The women’s volleyball team kicks off its season with a weekend packed full of matches. The team is traveling to the University of Missouri to participate in the Tiger Invitational, which will be held at the Hearnes Center in Columbia, Mo. 

Pitt’s first match of the season is against the Red Wolves of Arkansas State on Friday, and that same evening, the team takes on tournament host Missouri. 

The Missouri Tigers have won five of the last six Tiger Invitationals and are returning five upperclassmen, including three All-Southeastern Conference players. The Panthers resume action on Saturday opposite the South Dakota Coyotes. The team plays in the final match of the invitational at 8 p.m. against Idaho State.

The tournament in Missouri will be head coach Dan Fisher’s first as coach of the Panthers. The team returns 12 players, including five starters from last year’s team. Looking for the team to improve on the memorable seasons that they had last year are libero Delaney Clesen, junior outside hitter Jessica Wynn and setter Lindsey Zitzke.

Cross Country at Duquesne Duals

The men’s and women’s cross country teams won’t have to travel far to start off their 2013 schedule: The teams participate in the Duquesne Duals this weekend. Even though the event is hosted by Duquesne University, the course runs through Schenley Park. 

Senior Ben Kisley looks to shed some time off last year’s 26:43 ninth-place finish at the Duquesne Duals along with junior Rich Addison, who finished 13th with a time of 27:16. Kisley and Addison look to become the veteran leaders for a team that includes seven new faces. 

The women’s team also has many underclassmen on their roster, as well, but the younger team members look to be strong contenders. Cayla Del Piano looks to expand on her freshman campaign in her second season by finishing in the top 10 again this year at the Duals. 

Sophomores Kathryn Born and Hillary Boxheimer along with junior Morgan Perry have hopes to join Del Piano in the top 10 at this year’s event.