Trump, Clinton win PA

Republican+nominee+Donald+Trump+and+Democratic+nominee+Hillary+Clinton+met+for+the+final+presidential+debate+of+the+2016+election+on+Wednesday.+Photos+by+Eva+Fine+%28left%29+and+Kate+Koenig+%28right%29+
Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton met for the final presidential debate of the 2016 election on Wednesday. Photos by Eva Fine (left) and Kate Koenig (right)

By Alexa Bakalarski / News Editor

Both businessman Donald Trump and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton got closer to reaching the needed number of delegates for their party nominations after Tuesday’s primaries.

In a sweeping victory across five states, Trump won Pennsylvania’s Republican primary on Tuesday. Clinton took home wins in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Maryland and Delaware while Sen. Bernie Sanders won Rhode Island, according to the Associated Press.

Clinton won Pennsylvania with approximately 56 percent of the votes, and Trump won the state with 57 percent of the votes.

With 2,141 delegates after Tuesday’s wins, Clinton now has 90 percent of the 2,383 delegates she needs to claim the Democratic nomination, the AP reported.  

Trump has 77 percent of the 1,237 delegates he needs for the Republican nomination after Tuesday’s primaries, according to the AP. Though he is the only Republican nominee who could still earn the nomination for the party through the regular voting process, he might still fall short at the July convention. Pennsylvania’s  primary system leaves 54 of its 71 Republican delegates able to vote for whomever they choose at the convention.

In the aftermath of Trump’s sweep wins, Republican presidential candidates Sen. Ted Cruz and Gov. John Kasich recently announced plans to work together to minimize Trump’s total delegate count.

Though the results of Tuesday’s primaries push Clinton and Trump closer to a general election campaign between the two, Sanders, Cruz and Kasich all vowed to continue running in the election.

On Wednesday, Sanders announced that he plans to lay off “hundreds” of his campaign workers, though he is remaining in the race, according to the New York Times.

Local Results:

In the race for an open Senate seat on Tuesday, Katie McGinty beat out her Democratic competitors Joe Sestak and John Fetterman. She will face Republican incumbent Sen. Pat Toomey in November, according to the Pennsylvania Department of State.

In the State Attorney General race, Democrat Josh Shapiro will face Republican John Rafferty. Shapiro, the Montgomery County Commissioner, beat out Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala for the November bid.

• Trump, Clinton win PA

2. Featured

UPMC Mercy expansion approved after community voices opposition

• Trump, Clinton win PA

2. Featured

Train derails near Station Square

• Trump, Clinton win PA

2. Featured

2 men arrested for stealing over $8 million in rare books from Carnegie Library

• Trump, Clinton win PA

2. Featured

Community speaks out against Mercy Hospital expansion

• Trump, Clinton win PA

2. Featured

Pitt Board approves budgets for 2018-19 school year

• Trump, Clinton win PA

2. Featured

Board of Trustees unanimously votes to rename Parran Hall

• Trump, Clinton win PA

2. Featured

Michael Rosfeld charged with homicide in Antwon Rose killing

• Trump, Clinton win PA

2. Featured

Community responds after high school student fatally shot by police

• Trump, Clinton win PA

2. Featured

Unarmed 17-year-old fatally shot by East Pittsburgh police

• Trump, Clinton win PA

2. Featured

Islamic community comes together to celebrate Eid al-Fitr

Trump, Clinton win PA