Pro-Palestine students set up a liberated zone in Schenley Plaza on Tuesday.
Op-Ed | An Open Letter to Chancellor Joan Gabel
By Contributors April 25, 2024

By Contributors April 25, 2024

Let’s talk politics

Some stereotypes are closer to reality than others.

At Pitt, we embrace the perception that college students like to assert their opinions more than just about anything — anywhere from the classroom to a table at Hemingway’s Cafe.

This is especially true during an election year, when the entire city is caught up in campaign work and various other forms of political advocacy. But participation in the political conversation shouldn’t stop once November rolls around.

Whether you’re a political science major whose passion is campaigning or a feminist who wants to empower your female peers, there are a plethora of ways to make your voice heard at Pitt.

Here is a sampling of Pitt groups, in no particular order, that can help you get involved in our community’s political scene, as selected by a resident conservative and a resident liberal.

College Democrats: Pitt’s College Democrats gather weekly to discuss issues regarding current events within the Democratic Party and liberal interests at all levels of government. Students can take advantage of campaign opportunities and see visiting speakers hosted by the group. There is also an annual debate between the Pitt College Democratic and Republican groups.

College Republicans: Pitt’s College Republicans meet to discuss issues regarding current events within the Republican Party and conservative interests at all levels of government. The club also hosts speakers and holds events on campus to engage students on topics such as free speech and free markets.

Students for Liberty: Students for Liberty is Pitt’s student libertarian organization, dedicated to discussing topics surrounding government intrusion on Americans’ lives and student rights.

Black Action Society: Pitt’s BAS serves as the official representative organization for the concerns, need and interests of black students at Pitt. In addition to inviting guest speakers throughout the year, BAS holds weekly events open to everyone, featuring presentations and activities on everything from social issues to culture to beauty tips.

Rainbow Alliance: Rainbow Alliance serves the needs of the LGBTQ+ community at Pitt through advocacy, education and social opportunities. The group hosts speakers and holds informational events on topics such as how to be a good ally and representation in  media.

Campus Women’s Organization: Campus Women’s Organization represents the interests of women at Pitt and around the country, particularly through empowerment, full representation and reproductive justice. CWO’s largest events include the annual Take Back the Night rally and march to eradicate violence against women, the Vagina Monologues and self-defense classes.

Choose Life at Pitt: CLAP is a secular, non-partisan pro-life group that educates students about the pro-life movement and offers support and resources for pregnant women.

Amnesty International: Amnesty International is an organization dedicated to raising awareness about global human rights issues and promoting justice issues worldwide. Pitt has its own chapter of the group, which offers students an invaluable opportunity to learn about and help people in need.

Genocide Relief and Awareness Club: The youngest group on this list, GRAC is dedicated to providing relief and aid to victims affected by systematic and deliberate atrocities committed against targeted groups around the world. Members participate in fundraising efforts and regular educational discussions.

Pitt Political Review: PPR is a non-partisan, student-run political journal published each semester by the University Honors College. Students spend a term researching a politically related issue of their choice before writing or editing a scholarly piece on the subject.

In addition to their work at The Pitt News, Marlo is currently Secretary of the Pitt College Republicans, while Matt serves as the Editor in Chief of Pitt Political Review.