Pitt QB Peterman named to Johnny Unitas Golden Arm watch list

Pitt QB Nathan Peterman (4) is a preseason candidate for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award. Jeff Ahearn / Senior Staff Photographer

By Steve Rotstein / Sports Editor

Pitt senior quarterback Nathan Peterman was selected Thursday to his first preseason award watch list of 2016.

Peterman was named a preseason candidate for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, given annually to the nation’s top senior or fourth-year junior quarterback. The award is presented based on criteria including character, citizenship, scholastic achievement, leadership and athletic accomplishments.

A graduate transfer from the University of Tennessee, Peterman took over Pitt’s starting role early on in 2015 and led the Panthers to eight wins and a second-place finish in the ACC Coastal Division.

Peterman started the final 11 games and finished with 2,287 yards passing, 20 touchdowns and only eight interceptions. His 61.5 percent completion rate was good for second best in the ACC, and he also added 232 yards rushing and a touchdown on the ground.

The Panthers now have a total of 15 preseason award watch list selections as they prepare to open training camp Monday, Aug. 8.