Chris Blewitt, Brian O’Neill earn weekly ACC honors

Pitt kicker Chris Blewitt (12) hit a game-winning field goal in the Panthers' 37-34 win over Georgia Tech. Jeff Ahearn | Senior Staff Photographer

By Steve Rotstein | Sports Editor

The Atlantic Coast Conference recognized two Pitt Panthers Monday for their performances in the Panthers’ 37-34 Homecoming win over Georgia Tech Saturday.

The ACC named senior kicker Chris Blewitt Specialist of the Week after he made all four of his extra point attempts and all three of his field goals in the win, including a 31-yard field goal with no time left that lifted Pitt to victory.

Blewitt set a career high with 13 points scored, and his three successful field goals gave him 52 for his career, breaking Conor Lee’s all-time school record of 50. This was his third time receiving ACC Specialist of the Week honors.

Pitt’s sophomore offensive tackle Brian O’Neill also received recognition from the conference on Monday as the ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week.

O’Neill is a 6-foot-6, 300-pound lineman who said he played wide receiver in high school and was originally recruited by Pitt to play tight end. He showed off his playmaking abilities on the Panthers’ first drive, taking a lateral from quarterback Nathan Peterman and rumbling 24 yards down the sideline for the first touchdown of his collegiate career.

After scoring his first touchdown, O’Neill –– who entered the game with the best pass-blocking efficiency in the ACC, according to Pro Football Focus –– resumed his role as a right tackle and helped pave the way for the Panthers’ fifth straight game with more than 200 yards rushing.

The honor was O’Neill’s first weekly award from the ACC.