Pro-Palestine students set up a liberated zone in Schenley Plaza on Tuesday.
Op-Ed | An Open Letter to Chancellor Joan Gabel
By Contributors April 25, 2024

By Contributors April 25, 2024

Clinton, Kaine to visit Pittsburgh

Stuart Crawford
Democratic presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, said “There is so much more that unites us than divides us” and spoke about Donald Trump’s comments regarding Obama needing to resign for not calling the Orlando mass shooting a ‘radical islamic’ attack. Alex Nally | Staff Photographer

Despite her lead in Pennsylvania polls, Hillary Clinton and her running mate Tim Kaine will be visiting Pittsburgh again on Saturday, a move showing just how badly the Democratic nominee wants to win the state.

A Quinnipiac University Poll released on Oct. 17 reported Clinton has a six point lead in Pennsylvania over Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, well above the poll’s 3.8 point margin of error. Nationally, Clinton leads Trump by nearly seven points.

Clinton’s upcoming stop highlights her push to win Pennsylvania in November, a move that comes as she’s upped spending on advertising and campaign visits to deeply Republican states like Texas and Arizona.

Throughout the election, Pennsylvania polls have garnered national attention, since the state is one of 11 battleground or swing states with no clear political leaning. Other battleground states include Florida, Colorado and Ohio.

While specifics of the campaign stop weren’t yet available on Tuesday, it will be Kaine’s fourth visit to Pittsburgh since his vice presidential nomination, including one previous visit alongside Clinton in July. Most recently, Kaine spoke at Carnegie Mellon University’s campus on Oct. 6 in a push for the millennial vote.

Saturday’s visit will come just over a week after Clinton’s daughter, Chelsea, campaigned for the Democratic duo at two Pittsburgh events on Oct. 14, including one on Pitt’s campus.

Clinton has lead Trump in Pennsylvania polls since the close of the Democratic National Convention in July, ranging from a one to 13 point lead over Trump, according to Real Clear Politics. According to the Quinnipiac report, Clinton’s lead in both Pennsylvania and Florida are key to the election, and it is unlikely Trump will win the election if he loses either state.

In the Quinnipiac University report, Assistant Director Tim Malloy noted Clinton currently leads in Pennsylvania by more than President Barack Obama did in the 2012 presidential election.

“Hillary Clinton tops President Barack Obama’s five point winning margin in the Keystone State,” Malloy said in the report. “Can she hold on for 22 more days?”