New Greek life policy helps, not hurts

This fall, don’t expect to see new freshmen proudly displaying Greek letters on their dorm room doors.

As of Friday, University officials confirmed that fall rush season will no longer include freshmen. The new policy defers students from pledging until they have completed 12 credits — the equivalent of a full semester.

The underlying purpose of the new rule is to ensure academic prosperity for incoming freshmen. While Greek life requires a 2.5 GPA, Pitt strives for its students to exhibit grades that exceed the minimum. The new 12-credit rule will not only aid students’ academic endeavors, but help students establish a sense of identity before joining a group environment.

According to The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the average GPA for fraternity members at Pitt is 3.018, versus 3.067 for all undergraduate males. Sorority members have an average GPA of 3.177 compared to a 3.237 average for all female undergraduates. Clearly, there is some outlier lowering the average Greek GPA. That group is first-semester pledges — freshmen fraternity and sorority members average a 2.785 and 2.945 GPA, respectively. 

According to Matthew Richardson, coordinator of fraternity and sorority life, the Greek GPA averages would be above the overall undergraduate average if they didn’t include freshman pledges’ numbers.

This phenomenon is likely due to social pressures from the pledging process. Joining other University groups as a first-semester freshman does not pose as big of a risk to GPAs, as Richardson said the “formal nature and length of the recruitment process makes Greek life different.”

Not to mention, if a hopeful doesn’t get into the sorority or fraternity of his or her choice, this could set the tone for their college years. It’s better to have a few months to acclimate to a college environment as an individual before taking on the arduous task of committing to a group for the next four years.

While this signals the end of first-semester freshmen pledges, Richardson told The Pitt News that many students supported the policy. A Pitt News article from last Friday detailed that the Interfraternity Council and the Collegiate Panhellenic Association — along with many chapter presidents and general members — supported this measure.

Delaying pledging provides more benefits than just academic success. Students will have more time to research which chapter they’d like to join — or if they’d like to join at all. 

In the meantime, Greek life hopefuls can spend their first semester focusing on their studies to cement a solid GPA.

As a thriving social environment, Greek life publicly represents the University. As such, there is a high pressure for Pitt to put emphasis on Greek academic achievement. The bid day celebrations can wait — for now.