People sit inside of Redhawk Coffee on Meyran Avenue.

MisterWives to headline at Bigelow Bash

Pitt Program Council announced MisterWives will headline at Bigelow Bash. (Courtesy of Pitt Program Council)

Pitt Program Council announced Bigelow Bash, Pitt’s annual spring concert, will feature MisterWives as the headliner band April 14.

PPC tweeted the news Monday afternoon, about a month after it sealed the contract with the help of an outside agency.

Zach Linn, special events director, said PPC began the process of finding a band for the spring concert following the Fall Fest back in October. The special events committee, a group of 30 students, considered logistics such as the budget the University provided them with and available dates that worked with Pitt’s calendar when evaluating options for acts.

“We always start off with some bands that aren’t available and then we just keep working through our list until we find one that works, and MisterWives was very close to the top of our list on that,” Linn said.

While there were contract negotiations and price limitations, Linn said the committee still prioritized the student body’s interests in narrowing down its choices.

“By having a committee of students with an interest in music and an interest in concerts, we get that wise taste of music and hopefully have a good ear to the ground of what students like these days,” Linn said.

The American indie-pop band will perform alongside a European DJ, Saint Wknd and a support act from WPTS. The winner of PPC’s Pitt Factor event April 2 will open for the concert, similar to the way the way the winner of Battle of the Bands in September opened for Fall Fest.

The performances will be accompanied by various food trucks. PPC is collaborating with the Student Office of Sustainability to get compostable utensils for the trucks and will encourage recycling throughout the day to make this year’s concert a “green” event.

Linn said he is hopeful about student turnout because of past successes, such as pop musician Mike Posner’s performance last year.

“We never have an expectation — part of not selling tickets is that question mark,” Linn said. “Regardless of the act, it’s a great time because we have the food trucks, and we have a large portion of the student body out together.”