Men’s Soccer: Panthers come out on top against cross-town rival Duquesne

By Andrew Stern

The Pitt men’s soccer team has played several close games against cross-town rival Duquesne in…The Pitt men’s soccer team has played several close games against cross-town rival Duquesne in recent years.

And Sunday’s matchup between the Panthers and the Dukes was no different as Pitt came out on top, 2-1, thanks to a game-winning goal in the second half.

After the game, Pitt head coach Joe Luxbacher said he was pleased with the victory that keeps the Panthers (5-0-2) undefeated.

“Duquesne is always a battle, and today was the same way,” he said. “We were able to make a play on a free kick, and thankfully we were able to win the game.”

Pitt started off extremely well, scoring a goal in the first five minutes.

Junior striker Nico Wrobel received a nice pass from talented freshman Nick Wysong, and the Berlin native buried the opportunity in the net for his team-high fifth goal of the year.

But the Dukes (3-4) would respond.

Sophomore forward Karter Sell hit a hard shot from 18 yards out that was blocked by Pitt defender John Cordier, but the rebound bounced right back to Sell, who was able to direct it into the net, tying the game at 1-1.

Following that equalizer, the play went back-and-forth for the rest of the first half and most of the second half before Pitt took control.

In the 70th minute, freshman substitute Matt Venanzi was fouled about 30 yards from goal, earning a free kick. Venanzi then stepped up and drove the ball into the left corner of the net, cleanly beating Duquesne goalie Sam Frymier.

“It’s a great feeling to be able to get my first career goal [off a free kick], and help the team get a win,” Venanzi said after the game.

But the Dukes didn’t quit, creating several opportunities to tie the game again.

In the 86th minute, Pitt freshman goalie Dan Lynd, who was forced to take over for injured starter Lee Johnston, was beaten by Duquesne striker Josh Patterson, but the forward’s shot rocketed off the post and out of play.

Lynd also made a final save in the 89th minute to preserve Pitt’s second win of the weekend, following the Panthers’ dramatic victory over Northern Kentucky on Friday night.

The Panthers will put their undefeated record on the line when they face another rival – Robert Morris – Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Petersen Sports Complex.

Check out Wednesday’s issue of The Pitt News for more detailed recaps of both Pitt men’s soccer victories from the weekend.