Editorial: Report on Jewish life misguided

By Staff Editorial

This summer the University of California issued a report on the experiences of Jewish students…This summer the University of California issued a report on the experiences of Jewish students and faculty across six campuses — Santa Cruz, Irvine, Davis, Berkeley, Los Angeles and San Diego. Profiling a complex situation for Jewish members of the university communities, the report acknowledged the students’ access to Jewish student activities like Hillel, Jewish Greek organizations and American Israel Public Affairs Committee but also focused strongly on the political tension between pro-Israel or Zionist students and organizations and pro-Palestinian students and organizations. The team that wrote the report offered criticism and issued several recommendations in hopes of improving the experiences of Jewish students and faculty at the university.

Among those recommendations, the report’s authors suggested measures to prevent anti-Semitism and hate speech. The University of California, accordingly, is now discouraging some protests from anti-Zionist organizations, such as those that simulate checkpoints present in the Palestinian territories as a form of spreading awareness.

We believe that several of the team’s recommendations, such as suggestions that the university offer more kosher food and keep religious holidays in mind when making exam schedules, could be beneficial. We also admire the goal of promoting diversity education within the academic community. We think that measures such as increases in diversity education are important for educating students about all minority groups and increasing the culture of respect on the university’s campus.

However, we are unsure about how effective some of the recommended actions could be in creating a more positive and academic atmosphere. Recognizing everyone’s right to free speech and peaceful protest, we hope that the University of California would also recognize both sides’ rights to protest — even if these protests are uncomfortable or create political tension on campus. While universities should be responsible for creating a peaceful and respectful atmosphere on their campuses by, say, organizing meaningful discussions between pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian student groups or by providing multicultural or diversity education, they should not limit students’ right to advocate their causes.

Additionally, we are concerned by the report’s stance on covering the Middle East conflict in the classroom and in academic departments. The report urges more balance in the portrayal of the conflict in academic departments and criticizes the use of academic positions that denounce Israel and Zionism. We believe that the administration of a university should not dictate the position of academic departments on political issues, as this could limit the academic freedom that the climate of universities rely on.

The best way for the University of California, and other colleges with similar political tension, to work toward a more peaceful atmosphere is by taking steps to create an environment of mutual respect and open conversation, while not stifling free speech or academic freedom.