Due to renovations, The Book Center relocates to Forbes Avenue

By Andrew Shull

In order to make renovations to the University Book Center, the campus textbook retailer has…In order to make renovations to the University Book Center, the campus textbook retailer has been relocated from its Fifth Avenue location to 3601 Forbes Ave. for the fall and spring semesters.

The Book Center manager Debra Fyock said the renovations will not affect the bookstore’s ability to carry every required textbook, or affect its delivery to on-campus students. Off-campus residents who ordered textbooks online will be able to pick them up at the old location on Fifth Avenue for this semester.

The Book Center will also carry required lab materials, such as lab goggles.

Fyock said the only major exterior change will be to the Schenley Quad Entrance, which will be moved closer to the Fifth Avenue side of the building.

The interior of the building will have an entirely new look.

“We will have two major checkout areas set up to accommodate the increased volume of customers during rush. Way-finding signage and computers strategically placed throughout the store will help our customers navigate the space with ease,” Fyock said.

The renovated store will include places to study, a coffee shop, new technology and a textbook “guru” to answer questions.

Fyock said the remodeled bookstore will also be able to hold after-hours events, such as book signings and department showcase events.

The Book Center is expected to be fully renovated and re-opened by the fall of 2013.