Pitt Arts brings various cultural experiences to college life

By Grace Kelly

A quality night out in Pittsburgh can be expensive — dinner at a nice restaurant followed by a… A quality night out in Pittsburgh can be expensive — dinner at a nice restaurant followed by a live performance is something that not many college students can afford in their weekly budgets.

But what if it was all for free?

Pitt Arts is a University program that helps students experience and explore Pittsburgh’s local arts community. Through the organization, students have the opportunity to attend performances, exhibitions and concerts that often feature additional discussions or meet-and-greets accompanied by a meal or dessert.

The program sends emails to its members about discounted tickets and local arts events that students can go to for free through the program. With a Pitt ID, whole arts experiences can be totally without cost.

When students sign up for a Pitt Arts event, they receive a free night of food, art and conversation. According to Pitt Arts Director Annabelle Clippinger, Pitt established the program, which is funded by the Office of the Provost, in 1997.

Clippinger said the program has expanded greatly since its creation by including new events. She said that it “is understood that having the city as our campus offers unique opportunities, including accessing the arts and cultural amenities of Pittsburgh.”

“The idea is that if Pitt Oakland campus students experience arts and culture, they become more well-rounded — as one of Pitt’s goals is educating the whole student. This happens not only in the classroom, but outside of the classroom, as in what Pitt Arts offers,” she said.

With more than 110 events every year, Pitt Arts’ main goal is to expose students to the fine arts, which it believes helps make students more globally aware.

Pitt Arts also gives students the opportunity to visit local museums for free. During the regular academic year, students receive free access to the Andy Warhol Museum, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, the Carnegie Museum of Art and the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, among others.

“The Museum Visits program is also something that enhances students’ experience while at the University of Pittsburgh,” Clippinger said.

Though some people might fear they are not the “artsy” type and would not enjoy the events offered through Pitt Arts, sophomore Emily Crabb contends otherwise.

“Not all of the shows are standard ‘artsy’ things like operas or dances. One event I attended was an exhibit of comic book art at the Warhol museum. Another event was a guitar performance in the basement of a building. Many of the people who attended these events had probably never set foot inside a museum or opera hall,” she said.

Being able to discern a Caravaggio from a Da Vinci is not a prerequisite for attending these events. What’s is important is an open mind and the curiosity to see what the art scene in Pittsburgh has to offer.

For more information regarding Pitt Arts, visit www.pittarts.pitt.edu and sign up to receive free e-mail notifications about the events.