Build a collection of essential movies to ensure college preparedness

By Sarah Simkin

There are certain times that call for a movie. Whether it be with friends or alone, a movie… There are certain times that call for a movie. Whether it be with friends or alone, a movie night always serves as a classic entertainment option. With a bag of popcorn made in a new microwave, it’s a great choice for a night inside a dorm room.

A good collection of movies is one thing that every student needs. From thrillers to romantic comedies, several critical films are necessary for building a successful entertainment arsenal.

Disney films

The large collection of Disney films that served as cinematic staples during many people’s childhoods can now move into the collegiate sphere. Whether you’re sick or bored with a roommate, you may find that nostalgia tops novelty.

These movies are not composed only of princesses and chick-flick storylines. Many of the films from the ’90s such as “The Lion King” and “Toy Story” are gender-neutral as far as enjoyment is concerned, and they have relatable plots. But that isn’t to say that you should avoid classic Disney princess stories. Movies such as “The Little Mermaid” and “Mulan” offer a feminine appeal instinctual to Disney classics.

Regardless of your taste, Disney movies are classic films that lend a comfort-of-home feel to a new place and can be a good option for bonding with new friends over childhood favorites.

One truly obscure cult film

When everyone boasts about their extensive cinematic experience, you can prove to them that they have not seen everything. Less popular films will grant your friends the chance to watch something new that does not fit the mold many college students expect.

Movies such as “Die You Zombie Bastards!” and “The Man Who Fell to Earth” are two obscure films that many people have likely not seen. While they might not appeal to every viewer, at least they’ll prove that options other than the run-of-the-mill cult classics exist.

Date-night film

Date-night films constitute a tricky category. This movie needs to be exciting enough to engage your date but still boring enough to induce some advances.

It’s long been known that movies such as “Gladiator” have action-filled plots that are great for first dates but conveniently lull in the middle, leaving room for flirtatious conversation.

Avoid sad, overly violent and unhumorous movies, since these will leave a date completely uninterested during the entire evening.

Pop-culture necessities

Movies considered pivotal to the college-aged generation and modern pop-culture trends vary from person to person. But certain films such as “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” “Fight Club” and “Mean Girls” are too important to miss.

There is always at least one person who has yet to see these staple films. Though it might seem shocking that they could be missed, with these movie options, you can help make that person feel included in the pop-culture knowledge.

The movie that makes you laugh every time, no matter how often you re-watch it

This is an easy pick-me-up for days that aren’t going very well. Movies such as “Tropic Thunder,” “The Hangover” and “(500) Days of Summer” are mood-lightening movies to watch when the stress of college starts to pile on.

They have a humor that is easy to enjoy and will get you laughing even if you just failed an exam.

The movie you want to show to everyone you meet

This is the movie that you will incessantly quote or reference any chance you get. Upon arrival at college, this movie will be something to share with friends who are still new and want to learn a little more about you.

This movie is not just one with which you are obsessed and of which you know all the lines by heart — it also speaks to who you are.

I’m an evangelical Wes Anderson fan and feel that most people would live more enriched lives if they saw the movie “The Royal Tenenbaums.” This movie is an important part of my personal movie collection.

Tread lightly with this movie, and try not to impose viewings upon the unwilling.

National Lampoon’s “Animal House”

“Animal House” is often imitated, but never topped. It sets a standard that all other university-themed movies try to exceed. This movie comedically exaggerates the craziness of the college experience, and although other films have attempted to reinvent this standard, the original is still the best example of this type of movie.