Pitt to host summer job fair

By Em Maier

Pitt will help students looking to fill their resumés — and their pockets — this summer by… Pitt will help students looking to fill their resumés — and their pockets — this summer by holding a job fair aimed specifically at the summer months.

The Career Development and Placement Assistance Office will host the third annual Summer Survival Job Fair today from noon to 3 p.m. in the William Pitt Union Ballroom.

More than 75 companies from a wide range of disciplines, including retail, restaurant, entertainment and education, will set up tables with the aim of recruiting students.

“Many companies are seeking both full-time and part-time employees for the summer, and depending on the needs of each company, jobs do have the potential to carry over into the fall semester,” said Amanda Sell, the special events coordinator for the Career Development and Placement Assistance Office.

Sell said students have typically been very successful at finding employment via the fair.

The companies originate from all over the Pittsburgh region and include local businesses, such as the Carnegie Science Center, as well as larger nationwide chains.

While the dress code is more relaxed at the summer fair than at the Fall and Spring Career Fairs, Sell said she encourages students to don professional apparel. She urged students to make good impressions, which can begin with appearances.

The application process for most featured businesses will be faster than is typically found on the job hunt. Sell said applications will be available on site, and many employers will be doing on-campus interviews to select students in order to quickly fill open positions, allaying anxieties of students and employers alike.

Not all of the visiting employers will be offering jobs.

The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust will be looking for diligent and interested students to fulfill an assortment of internships, ranging in responsibilities from planning festivals to working in finance and marketing.

“Someone who has an interest in the organization is always plus, especially when they’ve done research and are excited about the group,” said Darcy Kucenic, who facilitates internships at the PCT.

Kucenic said that doing research prior to an interview and application often increases a student’s appeal.

For some Pitt students, a summer internship trumps a summer job.

Sophomore Madalyn Sproull said she’s been concerned about the lack of summer opportunities for English literature majors like herself.

“I want to do something academically beneficial, so I would prefer an internship as opposed to a minimum-wage job,” Sproull said. “What I do this summer affects my ability to get admitted to grad school, so it’s a stressor motivating me to look for the right fit.”

But Sell said even students set on an internship should remain open.

“A summer position often can build upon important skill sets that employers will be looking for from future employees: customer service, teamwork and reliability are all important skills in today’s job market which can be gained from summer positions,” she said. “Any job opportunity serves to improve a student’s resumé.”