No threats, students still on edge

By Em Maier

After eight straight days of evacuations, Pitt students adjusted to a change in routine Tuesday:… After eight straight days of evacuations, Pitt students adjusted to a change in routine Tuesday: no bomb threats.

For the first time since April 1, Pitt did not receive a bomb threat for more than 24 hours. Since mid-February, the campus has been hit with 57 threats — a trend that culminated Monday in 12 threats, the highest number of bomb threats received in one day.

Pitt spokesperson John Fedele said that the police have yet to make an arrest in the case, despite widespread rumors on campus and on the Internet that they have.

Pitt police and other investigating bodies declined to comment on the investigation.

On campus, tensions remained high.

“Honestly, I’m more paranoid without a bomb threat than with a bomb threat,” sophomore Amy Molitoris said.

Pitt heightened security Monday, requiring students, faculty and staff to present Pitt IDs and have their bags searched before entering on-campus buildings. Students can also no longer sign non-Pitt students into their dormitories.

Robert Hill, a University spokesman, said that the increased safety measures will continue despite the abatement of alarms.

“The restricted-building-access program continues indefinitely,” Hill said. “An active investigation continues to identify and bring to justice the person or persons responsible for the bomb threats.”

Many on-campus students have been making contingency plans since dorms were targeted — a number of student-housing complexes even receiving bomb threats in the middle of the night.

Numerous students have moved off campus, and many off-campus students have started housing refugees.

Sophomore Michael Kitchens said he did not feel better after the day without bomb threats.

“I’m worried everyone is going to relax, and then something will happen,” he said.