March Madness: NBE Basketball’s Ray Mernagh dissects Pitt’s season

By Dustin Gabler

The Pitt men’s basketball team wasn’t supposed to struggle this season. The Panthers were… The Pitt men’s basketball team wasn’t supposed to struggle this season. The Panthers were supposed to cruise through another regular season and finish in the top half of the Big East Conference. On Selection Sunday, the team was supposed to sit eagerly awaiting the announcement of its seed in this year’s NCAA Tournament.

Panther fans were supposed to stress over whether Pitt would finally get to a Final Four this season. Instead, they will get to see the team at home in the College Basketball Invitational, after the Panthers could not get a bid to the National Invitational Tournament.

So what went wrong? And can the Panthers recover? The Pitt News talked to NBE Basketball Report blogger and analyst Ray Mernagh to find out. The NBE Basketball Report is a blog that offers college basketball analysis, recruiting updates and event coverage.

The Pitt News: What do you think Pitt hasn’t done this year that it has in years past to keep the team successful?

Ray Mernagh: They’ve been extremely poor defensively, both on the perimeter and in the post.

TPN: How badly did the loss of Khem Birch affect the team?

RM: More than anyone realizes. Khem was a game-changer defensively with his shot-blocking and would’ve been a finisher offensively in transition for them as the season progressed. Birch’s departure and Travon [Woodall]’s injury really led to the downward spiral the team found itself in.

TPN: What led to Ashton Gibbs and Nasir Robinson having arguably subpar senior seasons?

RM: Well, I would argue that Nasir really didn’t play all that badly with what he has to work with. He’s always been limited in size and skill-set, but this year, with the lack of parts surrounding him, those limitations were really exposed a lot more. Ashton’s poor play had to do with the lack of a suitable backup at point guard, which I think you put on Dixon. Because of that, he was forced to do things he’s not capable of doing. I think what I said about Nasir also applies to Ashton in that he’s always had pieces around him that were capable of defending and setting him up offensively. Ashton Gibbs has never been a good defender and this season he was downright awful. I also think that neither led in the way that most expected, especially Gibbs.

TPN: Who strikes you as this team’s leader? Does it have one?

RM: Leadership with this team starts and ends with Travon Woodall.

TPN: What does the future hold?

RM: Improvement. They get Woodall back for one more year and bring in two highly rated guys in [Steven] Adams and [James] Robinson. They need J.J. Moore to become an attacking-type scorer, which he has the capability of doing.

TPN: Was this season an anomaly or should Pitt fans be concerned?

RM: My guess is an anomaly. It couldn’t last forever. Everyone has down years, and this was the year that it happened to Pitt. Next year will answer that question more clearly, but I’d wager all of [head coach Jamie] Dixon’s successful years are the norm versus this poor one.

TPN: Has Dixon’s system met its highest goals?

RM: Not sure. I thought Sam Young was the best player in college basketball his senior season, and he accomplished that in Dixon’s system. If anything, this season will make Jamie Dixon really take a look at every part of his program and decide whether he needs to make some changes to his system, although he’s showed a willingness to change defensively this year. His system offensively actually results in high percentage shots when executed and also stresses taking transition opportunities when they’re available.

TPN: Can his system succeed in the Atlantic Coast Conference against a different style of basketball?

RM: I think so. Again, I think Pitt normally is fine offensively. I think defensively is where things have fallen off the last three years, to be honest.

TPN: Do you expect James Robinson and/or Steven Adams to contribute early on? How much pressure will Dixon place upon them?

RM: Steven Adams will contribute right away. James Robinson has a chance. Adams should be the foundation next year. He will finish everything he gets close to the rim. Robinson will probably get minutes similar to what [Levance] Fields got his first year. He has a chance to be very solid and the next really good point guard at Pitt.

TPN: Which current player can we expect to see make a big jump next year and be a star or top contributor?

RM: It has to be J.J. Moore or Lamar Patterson. Pitt needs both to improve. It will also be interesting to see Malcolm Gilbert’s progression. I thought they wasted what could’ve been his redshirt year by not playing him enough, which is too bad.

TPN: Do you expect to see any overhaul with players in the lineup?

RM: Yes I do. They’ve done it the last few years, and I think you’ll see it happen again. Not sure who, but there’s a few players who probably will be at different schools next season.