Bike-rental program comes to William Pitt Union

By Em Maier

Starting today, students will no longer have to climb Cardiac Hill to get their cycling fix…. Starting today, students will no longer have to climb Cardiac Hill to get their cycling fix. Bicycles will now be available for rent from the William Pitt Union’s information desk at hourly and daily rates.

In fall 2010, former Student Government Board member Lauren Jentleson ran on a platform of bringing a bike-share program to campus.

It wasn’t until the middle of her campaign that she discovered the University already had such a system in place. So she began to work with Pitt’s Intramural Program to improve the existing system, located at the Baierl Student Recreation Center, and increase its popularity.

“The success at the Baierl fitness center was minimal; the program wasn’t getting a lot of publicity or traffic,” Jentleson said.

The rental program in the Union will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays. Bike rentals will also remain available through the Baierl Rec Center on weekdays during the same hours, as well as on weekends from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Students can rent bikes for $3 for a single hour and $2 for each subsequent hour or for a total of $10 per day. Baierl only accepts Panther Funds in payment for the rentals, whereas the Union will accept both cash and Panther Funds.

“It was in accordance with the University’s push to have a greener and more sustainable campus,” Jentleson said of the program’s new lower-campus location. “It’s an easier and nicer way to get around.”

The bikes will be located in an alcove between the William Pitt Union and Bruce Hall, stored in sealed lockers along with the helmets.

Jentleson said she doesn’t know how many bikes the program has or how many will be stored in the quad.

Though the program used to be primarily geared toward recreational cyclists, SGB has changed its advertising tactics, now directing the program’s focus toward students wishing to commute around campus.

After the spring term ends, SGB and the Intramural Program will meet again to discuss the successes and failures of the pilot program. The program will not run in the summer.

Jentleson said SGB Board member Megan McGrath will act as a transitional liaison to ensure the program’s continuance into the fall.

Sophomore Rebecca Callodonato said she was surprised by the program’s existence on upper campus.

“I hadn’t heard about the program, but it seems like a really great idea, especially with spring around the corner. I think I would personally have some slight trepidation though — biking in Oakland doesn’t seem to be for the faint of heart,” she said.

Jentleson and McGrath said they are excited about the opening of the program and believe the program will increase student users’ moods and health.

“[Biking] is another option for students. The more options, the happier they are,” Jentleson said.