Get smooth, shiny hair using things from your kitchen

By Liz Keeney

If you’re like me, this winter’s cold, wind and reactionary indoor heat has your hair… If you’re like me, this winter’s cold, wind and reactionary indoor heat has your hair feeling like its made of dried-out husks.

Hats, heat and icy conditions — this season is practically made to dry out your coiffure. But with a little extra maintenance, those locks can be shiny and soft again. Here are a few different hair masks you can whip up to restore your strands to their run-your-fingers-through-them glory, made out of ingredients you have lying around.

Milk-and-Honey Mask:

1 teaspoon honey

1 cup milk

The easiest one of the bunch — just mix the two ingredients together and work through hair. Leave the treatment in for 15 minutes, and then wash it out with warm — but not hot — water and a mild shampoo.

Strawberry Mask:

2 to 3 hulled strawberries

1 egg yolk

2 tablespoons olive oil

Blend the ingredients together until the mix looks like a thick juice — no strawberry chunks. Work the mixture into your hair and let it sit for 20 minutes, then wash it out with shampoo.

Banana Smoothie Mask:

1 mashed banana

1 egg

3 tablespoons honey

3 tablespoons milk

5 tablespoons olive oil

In a blender, mix together all ingredients. When they’re combined, apply the concoction to your hair. After 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how thick your hair is, wash the mask out with warm water and a mild shampoo.

A quick note: I like to wrap my hair in an old T-shirt or towel while I wait, but a shower cap will work fine. I’ve even heard of people who wrap their head in Saran Wrap.