State awards $100,000 grant for Schenley Park restoration

Pennsylvania%E2%80%99s+Commonwealth+Funding+Authority+awarded+the+Pittsburgh+Parks+Conservancy+a+%24100%2C000+grant+to+restore+parts+of+Flagstaff+Hill%2C+located+across+from+the+Phipps+Conservatory.+

Sarah Cutshall | Visual Editor

Pennsylvania’s Commonwealth Funding Authority awarded the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy a $100,000 grant to restore parts of Flagstaff Hill, located across from the Phipps Conservatory.

By Jon Moss, Assistant News Editor

Schenley Park’s Flagstaff Hill will soon be getting some TLC, thanks to a state grant.

Pennsylvania’s Commonwealth Funding Authority awarded the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy a $100,000 grant on Tuesday to restore parts of Flagstaff Hill, located across from the Phipps Conservatory. The grant is a series of state programs paid for by the Marcellus Legacy Fund, which is endowed by fracking fees.

According to State Rep. Dan Frankel, D-23, the grant pays for the restoration of a 111-year-old set of stone steps and its retaining and terrace walls. It also pays to recreate the Woodland Garden, as designed in 1936 by Ralph Grisold, and create two gardens near the Hill’s east and west entrances, among other improvements.

Frankel said Schenley Park is an important and prominent keystone in Pittsburgh’s extensive park system.

“Flagstaff Hill, in particular, is one of the city’s signature vantage points and preserving this important location will have a positive impact by preserving residents’ access to green spaces and recreational resources,” Frankel said. “Our parks are enjoyed by residents and visitors of all ages and are critical to the health and well-being of all of us.”