Football: Chryst announces staff

By Isaac Saul

Isaac Saul

The University of Pittsburgh’s new football coach has assembled his staff.

On… Isaac Saul

On Saturday morning, less than four hours before Pitt’s final game of the season, new head coach Paul Chryst announced six coaching staff appointments.

“We are assembling a great group of coaches who are tremendously excited about joining the University of Pittsburgh and our football program,” Chryst said in a statement. “Not only are they excellent coaches but also great people. They are very enthusiastic about what we can accomplish at Pitt. I know they will be great assets for our players, program and university.”

Perhaps the most intriguing addition to the coaching staff is Bob Bostad, a man who is widely recognized as one of college football’s best offensive line coaches. Bostad coached with Chryst the last six years at Wisconsin, where he helped the Badgers offensive line lead the way for Heisman finalist Montee Ball (1,923 yards, NCAA record 39 touchdowns), produce four first team All-Americans and have back to back 3,000 total yard rushing seasons over the last two years.

Joining Bostad in the move from Wisconsin is Dave Huxtable (defensive coordinator) and Joe Rudolph (assistant head coach, quarterbacks). Rudolph is a graduate of Belle Vernon Area High School and will be returning to Western Pennsylvania after coaching tight ends at Wisconsin the last four seasons.

Chris Haering will also be joining the Pitt staff as linebacker’s coach – a move that will make a lot of local headlines because of Haering’s nativity to Pittsburgh. The last 17 years, Haering served as the head football coach at Mt. Lebanon High School.

Filling out the coaching staff will be Jim Hueber (tight ends) and Todd Rice (strength and conditioning). Hueber has experience on both the collegiate and professional level, most recently as an offensive line coach with the Minnesota Vikings (2006-10). Rice is making the move north from the North Carolina State football team, where he also served as the strength and conditioning coach.