Wrestling: Panthers making big strides

By Dustin Gabler

Pitt’s wrestling team is in the middle of its best season yet. With a 10-1 record and a… Pitt’s wrestling team is in the middle of its best season yet. With a 10-1 record and a six-match winning streak, the Panthers are starting to see their lofty goals become reality.

Back in November, the Panthers knocked off Lehigh University and the University of Michigan one week apart. Both squads were ranked No. 6 when they lost to the Panthers.

The tough out-of-conference schedule has prepared the Panthers for their current run which could include a shot at the NCAA Championships for several of the team’s wrestlers.

“Wrestling top teams showed [the Panther wrestlers] the intensity it will take to win the [Eastern Wrestling League] again and to succeed at NCAAs,” assistant coach Matt Kocher said. “We have to compete at that intensity, hustling for every score. That is what you need to do.”

The intensity that propelled Pitt to big victories against top-ranked teams carried over into its match at Bloomsburg on Sunday.

“We ran away with [the Bloomsburg match] because we showed that intensity,” Kocher said.

Pitt defeated Bloomsburg 30-3 Sunday, winning its 15th straight EWL match. The Panthers’ first goal is to become the league champions for the third straight year, but the coaching staff has set some even loftier goals for the team as well.

“At the beginning of the year we wanted to win the conference, finish in the top 10 in rankings and qualify every guy for nationals,” junior Anthony Zanetta said. “Those are pretty highly set goals made by our coaches, but I think it is good we set our goals high because it gives the guys something to try to accomplish and push ourselves to achieve it.”

Zanetta didn’t just stop at the team goals, but set goals for himself as both a wrestler and as a person. Ranked 16th nationally, the 125-pound junior holds a record of 11-0 in dual meets and 22-2 overall this season.

“I have a goal every day. That is to better myself in every aspect of wrestling and also as a person,” Zanetta said. “I know if I do this every day I will achieve my ultimate goal as an All-American and national champion. It is just something you have to believe in.”

In such a successful season, talk of NCAAs and All-American status is bound to go around the locker room, but the team is trying to remain focused on each match as it comes.

“It is hard to stay focused every day.” Zanetta said. “It’s a battle we have to go through. As of now, we try to block all the rankings and stats out and focus on wrestling. If we do that, the wins will follow.”

With the winning has come a positive side effect.

“The mood out there is real good,” assistant coach Jason Peters said. “We have worked hard. The guys are very excited about the opportunity that they have. When you’re winning, the mood is always pretty good.”

Coming off the large victory over Bloomsburg, the team is hitting its stride down the stretch after struggling slightly in the Pitt Duals ­— despite ultimately sweeping all four matches.

“The guys couldn’t get motivated for [the Pitt Duals],” Kocher said. “We fixed that and can’t overlook anybody. They are feeling good coming off a weekend we dominated and wrestled well.”

The mood is something that Zanetta hasn’t before experienced during his time in the program.

“The mood lately has been something I haven’t seen or felt in the three years I’ve been on the team,” Zanetta said. “We are having fun, but at the same time, we know when to switch the mood and get serious. I think that is the perfect mixture of emotions to keep the guys motivated throughout the long season.”

Pitt returns home to the Fitzgerald Field House Friday when the Panthers battle EWL foe Clarion University. The match is set to start at 7 p.m.