Football: Future Panthers continue to shine

By Dustin Gabler

The 2012-2013 football season will mark the Pitt football’s first year incorporating… The 2012-2013 football season will mark the Pitt football’s first year incorporating true Todd Graham recruits. While the Panthers continue to battle for a winning season, some fans might find solace in the success of the future Panthers. Here is an update of what’s going on inside the stripes for Panthers-to-be.

Marzett Geter — DB — Sto-Rox

Geter, rated a two-star defensive back by Rivals.com, had a well-balanced game for Sto-Rox High School Friday night in the opening round of the WPIAL playoffs. He scored three touchdowns for the No. 2-ranked Vikings coming on a rush, a reception and a kickoff return. Geter, who was the first commit of the recruiting class of 2012 for Todd Graham, also converted five extra points in the victory. The Vikings won 69-25 and will face Brentwood in the second round of the playoffs.

Rushel Shell — RB — Hopewell

Pitt’s prized recruit for the class of 2012 carried his team to a 41-13 victory over Indiana. His 256-yard, four-touchdown performance put his name in the history books. It was his 38th consecutive 100-yard rushing game, tying him for the national record set by Billy Sims of Hooks, Texas. Sims went on to win the Heisman Memorial Trophy at the University of Oklahoma. The Vikings will face Franklin Regional High School in the next round of the WPIAL playoffs, and Shell needs just one more 100-yard game to break Sims’ record. He also needs just 240 more yards for the Pennsylvania state rushing title.

Dakota Conwell — LB — Upper St. Clair

Conwell will be a linebacker when he suits up in the Blue and Gold next year, but for now he is obtaining most of his stats as the quarterback for the Upper St. Clair Panthers. His No. 2-ranked Panthers defeated Connellsville 42-0 with a strong throwing performance for Conwell. He completed nine of 11 passes for 159 yards and two touchdowns. Conwell was also instrumental at linebacker for a defense that allowed the Falcons to muster only 165 yards.

Devon Porchia — LB — Gilman School (Md.)

Porchia is an outside linebacker from Gilman. Packing serious speed, he will be asked to create a pass rush for the Panthers. His Greyhounds defeated McDonogh 31-21 and will be the top seed in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference playoffs. Porchia has 49 tackles, four sacks, and one forced fumble on the season.

Trenton Coles — WR — Clairton

Coles, a 6-foot-3 receiver who has a 4.4 second 40-yard sprint, is the main offensive weapon for a Clairton team that’s won 41 straight games and is looking for its third consecutive PIAA Class A Championship. Coles scored twice for the Bears in their (54-0) defeat of Cornell, with a 5-yard touchdown run and a 70-yard interception return. Like Geter, he also kicks for his Single A powerhouse, tacking on four PATs for the defending state champs.

Alkwan Williams — LB — Johnstown

Williams, a two-star recruit on Rivals, turned in one of his best defensive performances of the season. He led his team to a (23-17) victory over Forest Hills (8-1). The Trojans advance to the state playoffs as the top-seeded team after the second seed, Bellefonte, finished 1-9 and will not participate in the playoffs. Williams had 10 tackles, two sacks and a 33-yard interception return for a touchdown. He also caught three balls for 37 yards on offense.