Student group raises awareness about North Korea

By Shae Felicien

In the mid-’90s, change and turmoil brewed across the ocean. News of genocide in Rwanda and… In the mid-’90s, change and turmoil brewed across the ocean. News of genocide in Rwanda and the end of apartheid in South Africa flooded American media.

But on the other side of the world, everything was silent.

As more than a million people in North Korea starved to death under the leadership of Kim Jong-il, the rest of the world remained oblivious.

Pitt’s chapter of Liberties in North Korea is a nonprofit student organization designed to break down those walls of silence.

“We raise awareness about not only the human-rights atrocities going on in North Korea, but also the refugee situation in China,” T.J. Collanto, president of Pitt’s Liberty in North Korea chapter, said.

Last year, former Pitt seniors Laura Lee and Jimmy Eppley launched the organization on campus. They devised a way to involve Pitt in the national organization after watching a documentary screening of the crisis in North Korea. Eppley is now a fifth-year senior and Lee has graduated, but the club’s message resonated with the people who joined.

“We felt a need to address the issue and felt that people in the Oakland-Pittsburgh area weren’t as aware of the issues as we felt that they needed to be,” Collanto said.

Junior Christiana Son joined LiNK this year after learning of the advocacy group’s presence on campus and its efforts toward aid.

As a Korean American, Son said she became aware of the issue at a young age and had “always felt strongly about bringing justice, or at least raising awareness, about North Korea’s situation.”

The crisis in North Korea is multifaceted and severe.

Investigations by government agencies, nonprofit organizations and journalists have revealed a society rife with social injustices. North Korean citizens face malnourishment, widespread threats of political concentration camps and are denied the rights of free speech and the press. Refugees who escape to China still aren’t safe — there they become targets of human trafficking rings.

According to LiNK’s national website, human-rights abuses are frequent. Reports show that 10 out of the 11 crimes against humanity outlined by the International Crime Court have been committed within the nation. The committed crimes include rape, torture, enslavement and forced disappearances.

“Entire families are imprisoned, including children — up to three generations —­ because a relative had committed a crime such as expressing disloyalty to the government. Conditions in the camps are alleged to be extremely harsh and systematic and widespread human rights abuses occur. Most prisoners are not expected to survive due to such extreme conditions. Some reports have estimated that more than 400,000

prisoners may have already died in this system,” a LiNK synopsis said.

Every two weeks, Pitt LiNK, which is composed of about 15 regular members, meets to talk about the issues North Koreans face. Documentaries and guests are a regular addition to meetings. Last month, the group hosted representatives from the national LiNK organization and screened the documentary “Hiding,” which LiNK produced.

The group also focuses on fundraising for the refugees. Every Friday, the organization holds its Pizza Friday event, offering $1 pizza slices on the second floor of Posvar from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Proceeds go to North Korean refugees.

But LiNK member Nick Velonis said that, with all the troubles facing North Korea, more could be done to help.

“I would like to see our group evolve and develop more of an impact on campus raising awareness,” Velonis said. He also serves as the public relations representative for Pitt LiNK.

The group’s first benefit concert is one attempt to boost awareness of the injustices in North Korea.

The concert will be held on Saturday, Nov. 12, from 6 to 9 p.m. at AVA Lounge in East Liberty. The $5 cover will aid refugees. The group hopes to try and host a benefit concert each year.

“All the money we raise goes toward helping refugees in China, and that comes in the form of transportation and literally finding these people and providing them with a way out of the nation, whether that’s through Southeast Asia and into South Korea or into the United States,” Collanto said.

LiNK also helps provide shelter, food and education to ease refugees’ difficult circumstances.

Amnesty International, Pittsburgh Human Rights Network and Americans for Informed Democracy are some of the organizations that will co-sponsor the benefit concert.

Involvement with LiNK offers Pitt students the opportunity to effect a long-lasting impact on the lives of others.

“We explain it as, ‘$2,500 saves one refugee,’” Velonis said. “If we can do our part in fundraising, that $2,500 will be put into action and will help to resettle someone in a safe environment where they can live a life without fear.”