Meet the Editors: Copy

Maggie Young and Sarah Stager are the Copy Chiefs at The Pitt News.

By Maggie Young and Sarah Stager

Copy desk serves a very real and pertinent role for a successful newspaper, even if you’ve never actually heard of it before. Our humble team of editors, many of whom do several jobs for TPN, takes the wonderful words from our coworkers and shines them up a bit in terms of style and grammar. By constantly learning and adapting to the changing world, we hold each other, writers and editors accountable to bring you a clear and consistent publication each week.

Maggie Young, Copy Chief

I’m Maggie Young, a senior nonfiction writing major and political science minor. This will be my third year on the copy desk — my second year on the editorial board — and I’ve previously written for the news and culture sections of TPN as well. When I’m not doing something for The Pitt News, I like to read, paint and engage in other activities one associates with a humanities major. I’m hyped for another great year, whatever it brings, with the brilliant Sarah Stager and the rest of the copy crew, as I truly believe we are the backbone of this paper.

Sarah Stager, Assistant Copy Chief

I’m Sarah Stager, a junior nonfiction writing and history double major with a minor in Korean. I’ve been working for the copy desk for about a year and a half now, and I occasionally write blog posts for The Pitt News and various other publications. I’m excited to keep working with our lovely copy chief Maggie and all of my copy pals in the fall to make sure we’re bringing you the most consistent, concise and correct newspaper possible. In my free time, I enjoy running, reading, studying languages and wearing turtlenecks.