Women’s Soccer: Panthers earn first win

By Donnie Tasser

Although the Pitt women’s soccer team was outscored 6-1 in two games, the Panthers emerged… Although the Pitt women’s soccer team was outscored 6-1 in two games, the Panthers emerged from the James Madison Tournament with their first victory of the season.

In the first game, the host school blanked the Panthers (1-2-1) 6-0 behind a strong first half. The James Madison Dukes scored four goals in a 15-minute span, notching scores in the 31st, 33rd, 43rd and 44th minutes without a response from Pitt.

The Dukes scored their first goal off a header by Haley Miller, following with a Katie Hyland hard shot to the lower left corner of the net. Ariana Ruela scored the third goal from the middle of the box. Hyland finished the scoring surge with a goal from six yards out to put James Madison ahead 4-0.

They added two insurance goals in the second half, putting the Panthers out of reach.

James Madison finished the game with 29 shots, including 10 shots on goal. Pitt goalkeeper Nicole D’Agostino made three saves.

Pitt mananged just eight shots in comparison, four on goal.

“Yes, it was an ugly loss, but it was a turning point,” Pitt head coach Sue-Moy Chin said. “It shows our character and our toughness. We’re a young team and it would have been easy to fold in that situation, to pack it in, but we came back. The season is still young and we’re going to continue to improve.”

Pitt bounced back against the Delaware Blue Hens, winning 1-0 behind the strength of Ashley Cuba’s second goal of the year and a combined shutout by goalkeepers Kristina Rioux and D’Agostino.

“That first win was relieving, absolutely relieving,” senior midfielder Katie Ruhe said. “It was something to pick us up after Friday night. It helped us mentally, especially winning 1-0.”

Cuba’s goal, which came in the 58th minute on a pass off the head of freshman Ali Matisse, is the 15th of her career, which ties her for third all-time in Pitt women’s soccer history. She’s only four shy of the record. Her 34 career points rank her fourth, 13 back of the school record.

Cuba downplayed the winning goal.

“The goal was just another goal, game-winning or not,” she said. “I just wanted to get the win.”

Likewise, the prospect of becoming the all-time goal scorer in Pitt soccer history did little to excite her.

“It’s an honor, but I’m not really worried about it right now,” Cuba said. “Right now, it’s just about winning. When I’m done I’ll look back on it and it will be something to really be proud of, but for now I’m just worried about getting to the Big East Tournament and doing well as a team.”

Ruhe, who is the all-time assist leader in Pitt women’s soccer history with 15, offered similar sentiments.

“I got the assist record last year, but I didn’t really know,” she said. “Coach keeps me updated on those types of things. It’s great, but numbers don’t really mean much to me, as long as someone is scoring and we’re winning.”

This weekend, the Panthers will play in the Pitt Soccer Classic along with Colorado, Penn State and North Carolina State.

“We need to focus, move forward and prepare for our tournament this weekend,” Ruhe said. “We won’t lose that bad again.”