Stock closets with some end-of-summer catches

By Liz Keeney

The first phase of summer fading starts when stores swap their sandals for boots and their… The first phase of summer fading starts when stores swap their sandals for boots and their shorts for pants as back-to-school shopping begins.

The time-honored tradition brings visions of designer denim and two-for-one-deals to many shoppers’ heads. But before getting caught up in the whirl of exchanging cash for clothes, there are several things to consider. When shopping as a student in Pittsburgh, some handy tips can ensure a bountiful duds hunt.

Before even stepping out, there are some things to keep in mind during the planning phase: What are you looking to buy? How much would you like to spend? Who are you going with? These questions are particularly important in the Steel City, since different neighborhoods boast different kinds of stores.

For example, if someone were looking for a specific item, like dress pants for an internship, I’d recommend hitting up a place that has a variety of stores. Places like the Waterfront, Southside Works, and — if you’re lucky enough to know someone with a car — the Mall at Robinson are your best bet.

Places like these are also great for when you want to shop with friends without blowing all your cash. Southside Works houses stores like Forever 21, H&M and Urban Outfitters, while the Waterfront has Target, Old Navy, T.J.Maxx and a slew of other options for the frugal fashionista.

How much you’re willing to spend is an important factor to consider when you plan your shopping trip. For a lot of underclassmen, college is the first time you have a certain degree of financial independence, and it’s easy to get carried away. Until you really have a grasp on how to manage your money — which, if you’re anything like me, might take some time — I’d suggest checking the aforementioned spots just once in a while so you don’t find yourself broke by the semester’s end.

If, however, you have a little extra cash to burn, then you should definitely check out East Carson Street in the South Side, where you’ll find a lot of cool, one-of-a-kind shops. Walnut Street in Shadyside also offers several more upscale shops.

Another thing I recommend to college students looking to update their wardrobes to a little less high schoolis to figure out what style and fit works for them.

According to Sadie Stein, author of Jezebel.com’s fashion series “Dress Code,” knowing what works for you and what doesn’t will save you plenty of time, money and heartbreak in the fitting room.

Of course, in order to do this you’ll have to spend some time figuring out what pieces will and won’t look good on you. But once you find fits that flatter, shopping for specific items will get a whole lot easier.

If you’re looking for a new pair of jeans — or any other basic item that will be in heavy rotation — don’t waste time wandering in and out of stores when you know a good place to find a flattering cut — even if that store is “not really your style.”

My sister, for example, has long since outgrown the faux-California look of Hollister, but she continues to buy her jeans there because she likes the way they fit. For basics like jeans, T-shirts and cardigans, once you find a store or brand that works for you, stick with it. As long as the fit is great, who cares where it came from?

Going along with the idea of proper fit, Stein encourages shoppers to listen to their inner neuroses when trying things on. If you don’t think something looks good on you, don’t buy it. This is when considering who you’re shopping with comes in.

If you’re shopping with friends, they might talk you into buying something that you think is unflattering under the guise of being kind. They might also persuade you to buy something that’s drastically not your taste and will hang sadly in your closet, never again to see the sun.

Remember, college is a time to try out new things, so do try to be open to change. Pitt students have a varied sense of style, so almost anything goes.

Here are a few off-the-beaten-track shops that might help you expand your wardrobe. First up is the Culture Shop, located on East Carson in the South Side. There you’ll find funky scarves, hippie-inspired clothing and cool jewelry, all within a reasonable price range.

Another personal favorite is Avalon Exchange, located in Squirrel Hill. Avalon has a variety of used and vintage clothing and accessories, and when your coffers run dry toward the end of the semester, you can try to trade in some of your gently-used clothing. Avalon is a thrift shop, so don’t go in looking for something specific. But since their inventory changes almost weekly, if you don’t find something one day, you can come back next week to look again.

Next are two newer-to-me stops — courtesy of DesignSponge.com’s Pittsburgh guide — which are both located in Lawrenceville and are sure to become new favorites. Pageboy is a hair salon and boutique combination, where you can shop for vintage shoes, upcycled dresses and handmade items by local designers while waiting for your haircut. Then there’s Wildcard, a great place to look for quirky dorm decorations and cool gifts, all of which are handmade.

Hopefully these tips will help you plan your first back-to-school shopping trip.