Football: Transfers add to Pitt’s recruits

By Dustin Gabler

itt’s football recruiting went through a huge turnover at the last minute, but the program has… Pitt’s football recruiting went through a huge turnover at the last minute, but the program has pulled together a promising class with the addition of some transfers and the new coach’s recruits.

Todd Graham had only three weeks to salvage Pitt’s recruiting class after he signed on as Pitt’s head coach in January, as the new coach in a troubled program.

Because of Wannstedt’s popularity on the recruiting trail, players began to drop when news of his firing spread in December. When it was all said and done, of the 18 recruits who signed with Graham, only four were from Wannstedt’s original class of 17  a top 25 recruiting class that many were calling the best in the Big East.

While Wannstedt’s departure would have been enough to scare off some recruits, the hiring and subsequent firing of Michael Haywood only made matters worse.

Haywood occupied the coaching position for less than two weeks before his arrest during a domestic dispute caused his firing. When the bad publicity began to run rampant, the recruits continued to drop. The challenges for Haywood’s successor, who would end up being Graham, only grew.

Graham brought in a promising recruiting class of his own, and he didn’t stop there. This spring and summer, Graham added several transfers to the 2011 Panthers roster, some of whom will have the opportunity to play without sitting out a year.

Ray Vinopal and Cullen Christian: The class-of-2010 recruits from Michigan came to Pitt in the spring and will sit out the fall campaign due to NCAA transfer rules. The firing of Rich Rodriguez at Michigan — along with Graham hiring three of Rodriguez’s assistants — led the two defensive backs to transfer. Vinopal, an undersized safety from Ohio powerhouse Cardinal Mooney, comes in after starting as a freshman in Ann Arbor. Christian, a highly touted local cornerback from Penn Hills high scool, returns to Pittsburgh one year after leaving for what he thought was greener pastures. He was the second-ranked recruit in Pennsylvania in 2010 and will provide instant depth and competition for the corner position in 2012.

Brendon Felder: Also from the 2010 class, Felder will be returning home to Pittsburgh from the University of North Carolina and could be eligible this fall if he receives a hardship waiver — his grandparents are in poor health. Felder began at UNC as a defensive back but was planning a switch to wide receiver this spring, and he has continued that transition at Pitt.

Zach Brown: Formerly of Wisconsin, Brown transferred to Pitt and will immediately be eligible this fall since he has already graduated and only played three seasons. Brown is a powerful runner who should offset Graham’s running style well. He comes to Pitt with an outstanding 4.8 yards-per-carry average. During his freshman year, he also had 4.8 yards per carry, the same as Pitt’s standout freshman LeSean McCoy that year.

Ejuan Price: The biggest addition to the Panthers might be a 2011 recruit for whom Graham made a late push but originally lost to Ohio State.

In the short time leading up to signing day, Graham heavily recruited highly rated Woodland Hills linebacker Ejuan Price, but Price stuck with his initial commitment to the Buckeyes. After the recent turmoil at Ohio State, Price asked for a release from his letter of intent. Ohio State released the linebacker, who will return to Pittsburgh to join his former high school teammates LaFayette Pitts and Khaynin Mosley-Smith. Former teammate Jevonte Pitts is headed to prep school for the 2011 season.

Price will be eligible for play in 2011 and, like all other 2011 freshmen, he has already enrolled and is taking classes. With Dan Mason still recovering from his gruesome knee injury, Price could push for playing time in Graham’s “Nitro Defense.”

Graham has also attracted the attention of 2012 recruits Rushel Shell, Darius Hamilton, Noah Spence, Will Mahone, Chris and Demitrious Davis and Adam Bisnowaty.

They all hold Pitt offers and list the Panthers among their top teams, but many of these athletes as well as others will be waiting until February to make their decisions.