Voter turnout low at primaries

By Mallory Grossman

Of the nearly 3,000 registered voters in Litchfield Towers and Schenley Quad, 12 voted in… Of the nearly 3,000 registered voters in Litchfield Towers and Schenley Quad, 12 voted in Tuesday’s primary elections.

Primary elections took place across Pennsylvania on Tuesday as people made their way out to the polls to vote for various state and local party candidates.The elections went well for the incumbents, with most winning a bid for re-election — although one had a thin margin.

But the polls in Oakland remained relatively quiet during the election. The four polling machines in Posvar Hall were left empty for most of the day, except during visits from a few “dedicated students” that ventured out in the rain, said poll worker Alethea Sims.

She said that as of 2 p.m., only four voters had shown up. By the time the polls closed at 8 p.m., the number had increased to 12.

But she added that this was normal for a primary that was not presidential, especially since most students are on summer break and not around to vote.

Barbara DeRiso, an employee working the polls in Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall, said that she saw a few more voters than Posvar’s workers did. By the time they were closing up, the total had risen to 69 voters.

She said they expected no more than a total 100 voters during the 13 hours the polling station was open. Compared to the 500 that showed up in the 2008 election, she said the number seems trivial.

“Primaries usually have a low turnout, particularly if students have gone home,” DeRiso said.

Mark Wolosik, the Allegheny County Elections Director, said that the expected turnout rate across Allegheny County was 28 percent, which is consistent with municipal primaries. About 20 percent actually voted. Pennsylvania has closed primaries, meaning that voters can only vote for candidates in the party in which they are registered.

There are five districts in Allegheny that had city council seats up for grabs. These include districts 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9.

Darlene Harris narrowly snagged the Democratic candidacy for District 1, beating her opponent by three percent of the votes. The incumbent almost lost to Vince Pallus.

Kyndall Mason, the campaign coordinator for Harris, said that she was running on a platform of experience and leadership. She said Harris prides herself on being a neighborhood activist and “not being a yes-person for the mayor.”

District 3 re-elected Bruce Kraus as the Democratic candidate, who won about 55 percent of the vote.

Doug Shields, the current city councilman for District 5, decided to run for district judge, so his district was open to newcomers. Corey O’Connor won the Democratic nomination with about 70 percent of the vote.

Patrick Dowd, the incumbent, was re-elected in District 7 with about 65 percent of the vote.

Mac Booker, Dowd’s campaign manager, said that Dowd’s main issue in this election was neighborhood quality of life, and he was standing on his previous records on the city council.

“He’s better than his opponent because he’s proven himself in council, working hard for people in his district,” Booker said.

Ricky Burgess won District 9.

Vic Stabile was elected as the judge of the Superior Court, Anne Covey was elected for judge of the Commonwealth Court and Mike Marmo and Alexander Bicket were elected for judges of the Court of the Common Pleas.

Positions for county-wide posts were also up for re-election, including County Chief Executive, County Controller and County Treasurer.

D. Raja won the Republican nomination for County Chief Executive. He will face Rich Fitzgerald, a former County Council president who won the Democratic nomination.

Robert Howard ran unopposed for the Republican nomination for County Controller, and he will face Democrat Chelsa Wagner in the general election.

Edward Pfeifer ran unopposed for County Treasurer and Michael Lamb ran unopposed for City Controller.