Kuntu Theatre celebrates famed gospel singer

By Jeffrey Ihaza

One of the actresses in Kuntu Repertory Theatre’s recent show prepared for her role by keeping in character at home and reciting lines into a tape recorder to perfect her delivery. One of the actresses in Kuntu Repertory Theatre’s recent show prepared for her role by keeping in character at home and reciting lines into a tape recorder to perfect her delivery.

Stephanie Akers, who chairs the group’s steering committee, plays the role of Aunt Hannah in “Mahalia Jackson: Standing on Holy Ground.” The production, which runs now through March 12, tells the story of famed Gospel singer Mahalia Jackson and her impact on the Civil Rights Movement.

Akers described Aunt Hannah as “the nice aunt,” in comparison to Mahalia’s stricter Aunt Duke. Akers said that Aunt Hannah is the one who encouraged Mahalia to move from New Orleans to Chicago to pursue her dream of becoming a gospel singer. Terri Smith, an actress in the theatre, plays the role of Aunt Duke. Smith agreed that she portrays the “strict aunt.” — the one who was vocal about not wanting Mahalia to go to Chicago. She also said that playing such a stern character required her to step out of her element significantly because she is generally not “a mean person.”

The actress that plays young Mahalia is 17-year-old Penn Hills high school student, Imani Wilkerson. Twyla Glasgow and Lorraine Jackson-Berry play the adult Mahlia.

All the performers in the show are local actors and actresses. There were close to 40 auditions for the lead role of Mahalia, with hopefuls ranging from members of local choirs to students from Pitt, Duquesne and CMU. Vernell Lillie, Kuntu founder and playwright, said the selections were made based on singing ability as well as whether the actors and actresses could commit the necessary time to the play’s production schedule..

In writing the play, Lillie, a professor of Black literature at Pitt, said she wanted to give people insight into the parts of the Civil Rights Movement that aren’t widely known.

“Mahalia wasn’t just a singer — she played a significant role in Martin Luther King’s March on Washington,” Lillie said. She said that Jackson’s relationship with prominent Chicago family the Daleys was an integral part of the march. Her friendship with them gave her the political backing of a powerful family that enabled her to do the march. She also said that the initial idea for a March on Washington was founded by A. Philip Randolph.

“My goal was to bring some of the lesser-known revolutionaries like A. Philip Randolph and Mahalia Jackson together in such a way that people could understand the size of the movement and how all of these people helped Dr. King,” Lillie said.

Lillie also said that the play shows how an uneducated black woman from the 9th Ward of New Orleans was able to become one of the most influential people in the Civil Rights Movement.

“I wanted to make people realize that it wasn’t only the educated people who were successful,” Lillie said.

Lillie said that Jackson’s story is significant because she only sang gospel music, despite receiving offers to sing in other genres for more money. She said that, as a result of Jackson’s perseverance, Gospel music became more popular.

“Mahalia Jackson: Standing on Holy Ground”

Kuntu Repertory Theatre

Alumni Hall Auditorium

Now through March 12

Tickets: $5 students, $14 faculty, $20 adults

Tickets can be purchased at the William Pitt Union box office