Football: Wannstedt’s next move could be the NFL

By Dustin Gabler

Before Dave Wannstedt roamed the sidelines of Heinz Field, the former Pitt head football coach… Before Dave Wannstedt roamed the sidelines of Heinz Field, the former Pitt head football coach won a Super Bowl as the defensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys and served time as the head coach for both the Chicago Bears and the Miami Dolphins.

Now, following his resignation “under pressure” from Pitt, Wannstedt is looking for his next career move. Based on the amount of interest Wannstedt’s been garnering from the NFL, he could be heading back to the pros.

Wannstedt decided not to coach Pitt in the BBVA Compass Bowl. Instead, he watched the team compete from his home in Florida, according to interim head coach Phil Bennet. With an offer already on the table from Pitt Athletic Director Steve Pederson to become “special assistant to the athletic director,” Wannstedt reportedly now has new job opportunities to consider.

If the interest in the NFL openings is mutual, it appears that Wannstedt might not accept Pederson’s offer and will take a job with one of the four teams reportedly showing interest in the Panthers’ former coach.

The San Diego Chargers, Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills have all been reported to be interested in hiring Wannstedt as their defensive coordinator.

The Chargers will be replacing their defensive coordinator, Ron Rivera, after he left to take the head coaching job in Carolina. The San Diego opening could be appealing to Wannstedt because the Chargers head coach doesn’t have a background on the defensive side of the ball, and would likely turn the defense over to Wannstedt.

Chargers head coach Norv Turner was the offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys from 1991-93. Wannstedt was the defensive coordinator for the Cowboys from 1989-92, helping to turn the team from a 1-15 squad into a Super Bowl winner.

Wannstedt was named the NFL Assistant Coach of the Year in 1990. In 1992, with the league’s youngest defense, the Cowboys led the NFL in total defense by allowing only 245.7 yards per game, on average.

Rivera, the newly named Carolina head coach, provides another tie to Wannstedt’s NFL coaching career. Rivera finished his playing career as a defensive back during Wannstedt’s first year as head coach for the Bears.

Wannstedt served as the Bears’ head coach from 1993-1998, compiling a 41-57 record.

The Carolina Panthers appear to be the frontrunners to hire Wannstedt.

Also in talks with Wannstedt will be the Buffalo Bills — and head coach Chan Gailey has his own connections to Wannstedt.

Gailey just completed his first season as Bills head coach and was the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins when Wannstedt was the head coach.

Wannstedt was named the head coach of the Dolphins in 2000 after serving as a defensive coordinator and assistant head coach. He resigned halfway through the 2004 season with the Dolphins’ record at 1-8.

The interesting aspect of Wannstedt’s possible hire in Buffalo is that it appears George Edwards will continue as the Bills defensive coordinator.

The only open position on the defensive side of the ball for the Bills is as inside linebackers coach. This element of the Bills’ search seemingly rules out Wannstedt in Buffalo, but it is possible that Gailey will create a special title in order to persuade Wannstedt to join his staff.

The Cleveland Browns have also been linked to Wannstedt, but the Browns just named former St. Louis offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur as head coach. Wannstedt has no connection to Shurmur through his coaching history, so a position with the Chargers, Panthers or Bills seems more likely.