Coens reimagine ‘True Grit’ as a black comedy

By Jeffrey Ihaza

The western genre is one often fueled by vengeance and “True Grit,” The Coen brothers’ latest foray into the genre, is no exception. “True Grit”

Starring: Hailee Steinfeld, Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin

Directed by: Joel & Ethan Coen

Film studio: Paramount Pictures

Grade: A

The western genre is one often fueled by vengeance and “True Grit,” The Coen brothers’ latest foray into the genre, is no exception.

Based on the 1968 novel by Charles Portis, “True Grit” tells the story of 14-year-old Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld), whose father was murdered by Tom Chaney (Josh Brolin). Mattie narrates the story in retrospect when she is much older.

The young girl enlists the help of Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) to seek vengeance for her father’s murder. Cogburn is a described merciless U.S. Marshal who frequently brags about his bloody exploits. Another U.S. Marshal, LaBoeuf (Matt Damon) has been on the trail of Chaney and eventually teams up with Cogburn to capture him.

The Coen brothers have a certain niche when it comes to films about manhunts. As far back as “Fargo” the duo has exhibited a certain specialty in captivating audiences with the search. “True Grit” furthers this cinematic tradition; in addition to the tremendous performance given by Brolin, the Coen brothers’ rendition of Chaney creates an atmosphere of suspense akin to what they achieved in “No Country for Old Men.”

This isn’t the first time that Portis’ novel has been adapted for the screen. In fact the 1969 version of the film garnered John Wayne his only Oscar. However, the Coen brothers’ adaptation of the novel cannot be viewed as a remake of the 1969 film, but instead a reimagining of the original novel. For one, there is far more humor in the Coen brothers’ version. This isn’t without good reason — the novel is told almost entirely in the perspective of a 14-year-old girl and was intended to be a dark comedy rather than a dramatic western, and the Coen brothers deliver.

“True Grit” is an example of where the Coen brothers are as directors — every scene is masterfully crafted and every line carries the film forward. The casting, as with most of the Coen brothers’ films, is impeccable. Brolin seems almost to have been born for his role as Chaney, whereas newcomer Steinfeld couldn’t have given a better portrayal of Mattie. Each performance in “True Grit” builds off of the other, creating yet another near-perfect Coen brothers production.