Football: What’s next for Pitt?

By Ben Livingston

Dave Wannstedt’s resignation left even the experts scratching their heads.

He left, but he… Dave Wannstedt’s resignation left even the experts scratching their heads.

He left, but he really hasn’t. His decision to resign came amidst rumors that he would be fired. And he might continue to coach even after his resignation.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Colin Dunlap sees the end of the Wannstedt era as inherently paradoxical.

“It will be impossible to find somebody who lives and dies with the University of Pittsburgh the way Dave Wannstedt does,” Dunlap said.

A Pitt News survey of six local and national college football experts yielded little consensus about what is happening at Pitt right now.

The experts generally agreed that Wannstedt staying at Pitt makes this coaching change unlike most of the hundreds that came before it.

“From where I sit, it looks normal, other than the golden parachute Wannstedt got to stick around the athletic department,” said Gregg Doyel, a columnist for CBSSports.com. “But given that Pitt’s his alma mater, it’s not a surprise.”

Part of the confusion surrounding Wannstedt’s current status centers on athletic director Steve Pederson giving him the option of coaching the Jan. 8 BBVA Compass Bowl. The journalists agreed that Wannstedt’s ties with Pitt might have played a role, but only a couple could remember somebody coaching a bowl when his departure was imminent.

“When a coach leaves for another school, the school he’s leaving never lets him coach,” blogger Chris Dokish said. “The only coach I can think of that was asked to resign was Bobby Bowden at Florida State last year. He beat West Virginia, and they carried him off the field. I’m guessing if Wannstedt coaches the final game and Pitt wins, there will be a similar outpouring of emotion for him.”

CBSPittsburgh.com blogger Chris Gates doesn’t see Wannstedt deciding to coach the game, although the Tribune-Review reported last night that he likely will.

“I don’t think that’s something he’s going to elect to do, given that they’re actively pursuing a new coaching staff,” Gates said.

Impact on recruiting

Pantherlair.com’s Chris Peak closely follows Pitt’s recruiting efforts, which he said will inevitably be hampered by Wannstedt’s departure.

“With the recruits, it’s all just uncertainty right now,” Peak said. “They got recruited by the current assistant coaches. If they’re gone, then the recruits have to wonder, ‘Well, who’s going to be the new guy? Am I going to bond with him? Am I going to want to work with him?’”

Peak does see a silver lining for Pitt, though.

“A lot of guys were sold on the idea of the University ­— playing at Heinz Field, playing at this school,” he said. “They all talked about education during their recruitment, when they were committing.

“Well, if they really care about the education and the value of the education here,” he said, “then they’ll stick with Pitt.”

Replacements

The experts think there are a wide variety of candidates who could fit as Wannstedt’s successor.

Suggestions included Paul Chryst (Wisconsin offensive coordinator), Dana Holgorsen (Oklahoma State offensive coordinator), Chris Petersen (Boise State head coach), Paul Rhoades (Iowa State head coach and former Pitt defensive coordinator), Mike Leach (former Texas Tech head coach), Al Golden (Temple head coach) and Tom Bradley (Penn State defensive coordinator).

Stewart Mandel, senior writer for Sports Illustrated, finds it difficult to predict who Pitt’s next head coach will be based on Pederson’s history as the athletic director at Nebraska.

“Pederson is anything but predictable,” Mandel said. “Nobody in a million years would have guessed that Bill Callahan would coach Nebraska football.”

Wannstedt’s Future

Wannstedt will remain with Pitt as a special assistant to the athletic director, but the meaning of that is unclear as well. But Mandel thinks it’s a poor fit for Wannstedt.

“Dave Wannstedt is a football coach. I can’t imagine he doesn’t want to keep being a football coach,” Mandel said. “And I can’t imagine that it’s as amicable as they’re making it out to be in the press release.”