Private events closes Commons Room

By Olivia Garber

University officials were relatively close-mouthed about the event that closed the Cathedral of… University officials were relatively close-mouthed about the event that closed the Cathedral of Learning Commons Room yesterday afternoon.

Right before 3 p.m., around 200 students were ushered out of the popular study space.

Music for the Holidays, an annual private University event, was the reason for the closure, according to Sharon Malazich, an employee at the University’s Office of Special Events.

Malazich did not give any further information.

With most of the Commons Room banned, students were forced to retreat to surrounding alcoves — areas not quite as conducive to studying.

Morgan Masci sat hunched over a wooden chair in one of the alcoves, poring over a stack of papers before her night class. A second chair facing her direction served as a makeshift table.

“It’s not really bothering me,” she said, referring to the unusual study position. Masci, who usually studies at the Cathedral before and after her night class, said the closing of the Commons Room wasn’t a big deal.

Lynn Hoelzle and Jill Leadbetter were similarly unperturbed. Although the two freshman rarely head over to the Cathedral  — both are enrolled in Pitt’s School of Dental Hygiene — they were two of the few lucky enough to nab a table in one of the alcoves.

Both said they didn’t mind that they couldn’t use the Commons Room.

Jennifer Semans didn’t mind either, although she was a little upset over the sudden expulsion.

“I wish they would have given some advanced notice,” she said.

Semans, who normally studies in the Commons Room three to five times a week, also sat at one of the few tables in the alcoves.

“I got lucky,” she said.