Pitt jumps in sexual health rankings

By Olivia Garber

Pitt students aren’t just having sex — they’re getting better at it, too.

Trojan… Pitt students aren’t just having sex — they’re getting better at it, too.

Trojan Condoms released its annual Sexual Health Report Card yesterday. The company ranked Pitt 21st in terms of sexual-health resources and information services out of 141 colleges from the Bowl Championship Series system — a 54-spot jump that earned Pitt the title of “Most Improved Player.”

Jumping from last year’s 75th ranking, Pitt’s 2.91 Sexual Health GPA placed it in the top quarter of sexually healthy colleges.

Columbia University took top honors as the most sexually health campus in 2010, after ranking fourth last year.

Michigan State University, Ohio State University, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor and Brown University rounded out the top five.

Trojan did not rank any other universities from Pittsburgh. Penn State University and West Virginia University both ranked higher than Pitt, 14th and 15th respectively.

The condom manufacturer graded colleges on 12 categories, including contraceptive and condom availability and cost, HIV and STI testing and availability of sexual-assault prevention and recovery programs.

Pitt’s Student Health Service offers a health educator in the Office of Health Education & Promotion. Students can schedule an “STD education” appointment to discuss sexual health.

Any student interested in getting tested for sex-related infections can contact the Student Health Service.

Representatives from Pitt were not immediately available for comment about the new rankings.