Green: Bad political climate produces chilly speech feedback for Obama

By Molly Green

I’m pretty sure that in high school, Barack Obama was that kid who wanted everyone to like… I’m pretty sure that in high school, Barack Obama was that kid who wanted everyone to like him. Sure, one could argue that the many compromises of his presidency are a result of political maneuvering, a pointed attempt to ride the moderate-train to a second term. I, however, would point out that, first, former President George W. Bush was openly partisan and quite successfully so — both in terms of getting elected and pushing his agenda through Congress. And second, it’s Obama’s middle leanings that have lost him much of the progressive base that led his stampede to victory in 2008.

We saw this same pattern after Obama gave the second Oval Office address of his presidency last week — specifically to declare the end of the war in Iraq. It’s sad to say, but the end of this war is one of the few triumphs that Obama has accomplished in — let’s face it — a grievously grim political climate. Considering that 59 percent of Americans now believe that the war was a mistake, according to CBS News, this could have been a great opportunity for Obama to rally his base and rejuvenate some of the energy in the Democratic Party, especially with midterm elections just a few months away. He could have pumped us up, but instead, most of his speech was cautious, even somber.

Rather than concentrate on the victory, he split time during the 18-minute speech emphasizing other issues currently troubling our country: the war in Afghanistan and, most pressingly, the economy. He even handed the olive branch to Bush, remarking, “It’s well known that he and I disagreed about the war from its outset. Yet, no one can doubt President Bush’s support for our troops or his love of country and commitment to our security.”

He even wore an American flag lapel pin.

Yet despite my initial criticism, it now appears to me that Obama was doing exactly what he should do: attempting to unite a nation that is being tugged at from both sides, ripping it down the middle and leaving our country in a political stalemate that has blocked progress at a time we truly need it.

Unfortunately — though not surprisingly — the far Right and, particularly, the far Left did not see it this way.

Obama’s speech drew every criticism imaginable.

It was too focused “on the ‘huge price’ and burdens of the last seven years,” according to the Wall Street Journal. It was too complimentary of Bush, according to Rachel Maddow. It was too disjointed, according to The Washington Post’s Richard Cohen. And Chris Matthews complained that Obama is still too dependent on his teleprompter. Trust me, the list goes on. And on. And on.

Granted, there was some positive feedback.

The New York Times appreciated Obama’s sober tone. “There was no victory to declare last night, and Mr. Obama was right not to try,” the newspaper wrote in its Tuesday editorial. “If victory was ever possible in this war, it has not been won, and America still faces the daunting challenges of the other war, in Afghanistan.”

Strangely enough, in what I’m sure caused him actual physical pain, ultra-hawkish Bill Kristol also parceled out a rare, though still backhanded, compliment, according to Politico, saying, “Not a bad tribute to the troops and not a bad statement of the importance and indispensability of hard power. Not a bad speech by the president … On the whole commendable and even at times impressive.” Of course, I have no doubt he said all this with about as much enthusiasm as a tepid fish, but still.

It’s really a shame that more people couldn’t appreciate what Obama hoped to accomplish in his address — though it was far from perfect — and that he continues to accumulate criticism from every political direction for nearly every thing he does. For those who chide his comments regarding Bush, re-read the speech. You’ll see that everything he says is true. Even as an ardent Bush hater, I can admit this.

For those who expected some kind of celebratory balloon drop while Kool & the Gang played in the background and Mr. Moviefone announced that everyone in attendance just won a free trip to Disney World, ask yourself if it is really worth celebrating anything that resulted in the death of more than 4,400 Americans.

For Chris Matthews, get over the teleprompter. We elected Obama for his ideas and intelligence, not for his ability to memorize a speech. Seriously — who cares?

Obama is operating out of one of the worst political climates in recent history ­— his approval rating is a dismally low 24 percent, according to Rasmussen Reports — and it is very, very likely that he will not be re-elected come 2012. Yet despite all this, and though politically unwise, Obama is still trying to do away with partisan politics. For that, I give him a lot of credit.

E-mail Molly at [email protected].