Simkin: A few remedies to ease college illnesses

By Sarah Simkin

When you’re sick at college, you might not be able to have your mom sing to you or access your… When you’re sick at college, you might not be able to have your mom sing to you or access your favorite TV Land reruns. There is one comfort, however, that’s definitely still available: food.

The right foods can make you feel better faster, or at least make colds and viruses more bearable.

Here are a few home remedies, I’ve stumbled upon. Note, however, that the best advice will come from a doctor, who can tell you what will work best for your body and your ailment.

Soup

Soup is a natural choice — it’s soothing for sore throats and gentle on upset stomachs. But, opt for a chicken or vegetable-stock based soup rather than cream. Cream soups are often higher in calories and saturated fat than their non-dairy counterparts, and dairy has a lovely tendency to aid in mucus production — not desirable if you’re already going through boxes of tissues by the hour.

Other advantages of soup? If you’re making it from a can it’s nearly foolproof to prepare, no matter how groggy and cold medicine-drugged you are. Soups packaged for individual servings, like Campbell’s Soup at Hand line, are temptingly easy but often utilize high amounts of sodium as preservatives and flavor enhancers. Share a can with a friend or pop the extra serving in the fridge for later.

Sweets

Ice cream has restorative properties for everything from strep throat to a broken heart, but once again, beware: dairy products are not your friends if you’re already plagued with sinus issues. And just because you’re sick doesn’t mean the calories, sugars and fats aren’t injurious to your diet.

If you’re craving something cold and the caveats mentioned above are issues for you, try a comparatively healthier fruit popsicle or even those colorful, friendly tubes of childhood summers past, Freezepops.

The BRAT Diet

Gastrointestinal ailments are commonly prescribed the bland, low-fiber BRAT diet: an unfortunate acronym for bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Possible extensions include tea and yogurt — BRATTY, if you will. I could easily recommend a dozen ways to spice them up, but that would defeat the purpose. I will say — although I concede I cannot back this up with scientific research — that toast is greatly enhanced by Nutella, which at least contributes protein.

On the same order as the BRAT diet are Saltine crackers, a classic saline staple of sick days. Pretzels will also address the craving for salt, which the Internet and my chemistry major roommate tell me is a common symptom of unbalanced electrolytes.

I could go on a bit about electrolytes, but this is a food column, and thus biochemistry and health ramblings are not exactly what you’re here for. Spicy foods like horseradish or red peppers may open up your sinuses, which can be invigorating, but these are ill-advised if your stomach is at all troubling you.

Drinks

I cannot stress enough the importance of staying hydrated during an illness.

And remember: hydration is not soda or energy drinks. I’ll reserve passing judgment on vitamin waters and Gatorade, but plain and simple water is your best bet.

The one exception to the water rule? Brewed water. Tea is an invaluable tactic in the war on sore throats. Plain is perfectly fine, but caffeine-free chamomile or mint may help you sleep better.

For an upset stomach, try grating some fresh ginger into hot water. It’s fine by itself or with honey or lemon juice. Plain ginger is another option, in candied or raw form. I like The Ginger People’s original flavor Ginger Chews, which you can usually find at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. Less adventurous? Ginger Ale soda also works.

Vitamin C

Vitamin C is widely touted as beneficial for fighting off colds. Luckily, it’s not a tricky nutrient to come by — it’s present in many fruits and subsequently, fruit beverages.

Get well soon.