Students assigned to live in Wyndham

By John Manganaro

At least 25 rooms in Oakland’s Wyndham Hotel will house freshman Pitt students this… At least 25 rooms in Oakland’s Wyndham Hotel will house freshman Pitt students this year, according to one hotel representative, though it is unclear exactly how many students are moving in or how long they will stay.

Stephanie Fuchs, sales manager for the Wyndham, said three sales people from the Wyndham are working with Pitt to provide overflow housing for students.

None of the three were immediately available for comment, but Fuchs said they have been working with Pitt for some time.

Administrators in Panther Central and Residence Life did not respond to requests for comment, but Pitt spokesman John Fedele said this type of move is a common one at larger universities like Pitt.

“This type of thing happens every year,” Fedele said. “We have to operate under the assumption that not everyone decides to attend in the end, and we cant really afford to leave empty rooms.”

Fedele said he did not know for sure if Pitt has ever housed students in a hotel before. He also could not say how long the students would stay at the Wyndham or how much they will have to pay.

“It is not my impression that they are going to be housed there for the whole year,” Fedele said.