Tybout: Summer movies represent start of cinematic renaissance

By Andy Tybout

To reassure myself, I’ve compiled the three following examples — promising signs sure to send 2010 naysayers back to the dank cave of pessimism from which they came. If each summer movie season was itself made into a movie, it’s a safe bet critics would harangue 2010 as a crass sequel to 2009.

In fact, that’s exactly what they did. As Dave McGinn of the Globe and Mail said of his day at the movie theater, “I was despairing for this summer’s crop of movies.

Nothing yet had that sense of wonder or truly mindless joy that the best popcorn movies offer.” Cable news organizations like CNN echoed his sentiment.

I, however, resent this sort of Debbie downerism. I, for one, believe — or would like to believe — this summer will go down as the start of a cinematic renaissance. So, to reassure myself, I’ve compiled the three following examples — promising signs sure to send 2010 naysayers back to the dank cave of pessimism from which they came.

A Promising Blockbuster: “Inception”

Every summer, critics bemoan the heap of tentpole blockbusters that fail to achieve anything besides box office sales — films that, in their view, perpetuate a safe and stupid Hollywood cycle.

By the same token, there are one or two blockbusters each year that critics elevate to the status of fearless trailblazer. This year, “Inception” was that poster child.

Perhaps with good reason — the film, for all its explosions, doesn’t insult an audience’s intelligence and toys with ideas more complex than 10 Bond films combined.

Additionally, the script is 100 percent original — an increasingly rare thing in today’s franchise-happy environment. Most importantly — and the value of this cannot be overstated — “Inception” made $100 million in its opening week. Enough money, critics hoped, to send dumb films packing.

Whether or not this dream will actually come to fruition, this much is clear: “Inception” proved audiences will see a film that makes them think. Although it’s unlikely to spur another golden age, it’s nice, nonetheless, to hope against hope that after more than 100 years of cinema, “Inception” will finally be the movie to jar producers into valuing quality over safe cash once and for all.

A Promising Trend: Netflix Watch Instantly

Over the summer, Netflix’s movie streaming service led the charge in quality online viewing. Sure, the service costs a bit of money, but compared to the illegal downloads laden with more viruses than a slum’s water supply, this isn’t asking a great deal.

Among the great titles I saw this summer without leaving my room: “Oldboy,” “Touching the Void,” “Breathless,” “Solaris,” Kurosawa’s “Dreams,” “It Might Get Loud,” “Moon” and of course, “Chappelle’s Show.”

Of course, watching movies instantly isn’t new to 2010, but this year the service’s lineup increased so substantially that I give it the prestigious Andy Tybout stamp of approval.

Promising News: Bill Murray is Still Classy, Just Absent-Minded

About midway through “Zombieland,” Bill Murray, playing himself, is asked if he has any regrets. “Well,” he says, “Maybe ‘Garfield.’”

I couldn’t agree more.

But don’t worry, Murray fans: the fat, orange blemish on Bill’s impeccable resume was all just a big misunderstanding. In a recent interview with GQ, Murray said he signed up to voice the deadpan cat because he saw the name “Joel Coen” on the script.

Only, it wasn’t that Joel Coen. Honest mistake. This, of course, doesn’t exactly explain the second cinematic genocide, “Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties,” which also featured Murray, but who knows? Maybe a guy named Ethan Coen wrote it.

So there you have it: proof that this summer was simply packed full of good news.

Now, I could talk about Michael Bay’s upcoming production of “Hansel and Gretel,” for instance, or the maddeningly diverse spectrum of new and upcoming 3-D films (“Hansel and Gretel” among them), or my unshakable gut feeling that 2011 will only employ more washed-up superheroes and more Bowflex-trained vampires, but these points would only dampen the enthusiasm I’ve just built up.

Instead, like Michael Bay, I’d prefer to stick to my guns. This summer has been good. Trust me.