Wytiaz: Pirates’ young talent bring hope to a futile franchise

By Torie Wytiaz

For more than a decade, the public relations department of the Pittsburgh Pirates has attempted to generate fan support for a woeful baseball team by creating inspirational slogans that show a dedication to winning.

But Pirates fans have witnessed 17 consecutive losing seasons… For more than a decade, the public relations department of the Pittsburgh Pirates has attempted to generate fan support for a woeful baseball team by creating inspirational slogans that show a dedication to winning.

But Pirates fans have witnessed 17 consecutive losing seasons, and an 18th seems likely. A telltale sign of the growing frustration regarding management and on-field play appears in the Facebook group “Pittsburgh Pirates: Rebuilding Since 1993,” which has more than 2,000 members.

It certainly seems that 17 years should be enough time to acquire and develop a baseball team worthy of professional competition, and although 2010 might fortify the Pirates’ record for the most consecutive losing seasons in North American professional sports history, the team made strides to invest in the future.

Beginning in May with the recall of Neil Walker, the Pirates went on a quest to return some youth to the suffering lineup. Walker, along with Jose Tabata, Brad Lincoln and Pedro Alvarez found consistent playing time in recent months and give a glimmer of future hope to the dwindling Pirates faithful fans.

Neil Walker

Walker, drafted by the Pirates in the first round of the 2004 draft, knows all too well of the losing that plagues the Pittsburgh club. A Pittsburgh native, Walker attended the local Pine-Richland High School and entered the Pirates system upon graduation.

Walker saw limited action in 2009, serving as a pinch hitter in several games. But after an injury to first baseman Steve Pearce in late May, Walker became a regular day-to-day player. The versatility of Walker in the infield proved to be a saving grace, as he was able to replace Akinori Iwamura at second base.

Walker has also made his presence known at the plate, consistently batting third in the Pirates’ lineup. He recently became the first Pirates rookie to record five hits in one game since 1991 when John Wehner, who is now a Pirates commentator, did it.

Walker’s success proves it’s possible for the Pirates organization to take a draft pick and eventually mold that player into a major league-caliber performer. Perhaps the only question that remains among fans is why such a development took six years.

Jose Tabata

On June 9, after dropping four of its last five games, the Pirates decided to give Jose Tabata a chance to add spark to the sluggish offense.

Tabata’s 2 for 4 debut performance included a steal, a walk and a run scored. He didn’t earn a win that night, but he earned a starting position.

With Tabata in the outfield alongside Andrew McCutchen, the Pirates gain an incredible amount of speed. McCutchen and Tabata lead the team in stolen bases with 21 and 10 successful attempts, respectively. Acquired by the Yankees as a 17 year old in 2005, Tabata was traded to the Pirates in 2008 and began his play in the Triple-A system.

One major concern might be Tabata’s tendency to attract negative media, something the Pirates could do without. Tabata’s wife entered the news during spring training when she reportedly feigned pregnancy and abducted an infant. Claims have also been made concerning the accuracy of Tabata’s age. But Tabata seems to have handled such attention well without allowing it to impact his progress as a baseball player.

Brad Lincoln

The Pirates’ starting pitching rotation struggled to find one or two aces in the past, let alone five solid pitchers. The Pirates chose Lincoln, the fourth overall pick in the 2006 draft, with the hopes that his right arm would serve in the rotation for future years.

But in typical Pirates’ pitcher fashion, Lincoln faced injury early in his career and underwent Tommy John surgery in 2007, missing the entire season. The Pirates organization firmly believed in its choice, though, and kept Lincoln until he made his major league debut with Tabata on June 9.

Lincoln earned his first victory on June 30 with a shutout performance, but following a July 25 loss, Lincoln found himself demoted to the Triple-A club in Indianapolis. According to the Pirates management, Lincoln was sent for more work on pitching mechanics and increasing his pitch speed.

Judging from the moments of dominance displayed by Lincoln in his win, he has the raw talent necessary for a starting pitcher. Perhaps Lincoln was brought up to the big leagues prematurely, but in a situation as dire as the Pirates’, such chances must be taken.

Pedro Alvarez

Four times people in the crowd rose to their feet and four times they sat back down, disappointed in Pedro Alvarez’s first major league start on June 16. The fans at PNC Park watched while the most promising Pirates prospect struck out three times and grounded into a double play in his first four appearances at bat.

Just more than a month later, Alvarez’s home run tally is beginning to climb. Even in Alvarez’s early struggles and strikeouts, it was evident that he had one of the purest swings in baseball.

The process of signing Alvarez was not an easy one for the Pirates, and negotiations made on the subject frequented Pittsburgh news outlets as fans hoped for Alvarez to commit to the local club. Upon contract finalization, Alvarez became one of the most valued young players in the Pirates’ history, and his potential success in the major leagues was highly anticipated.

Alvarez, a Dominican Republic native nicknamed “El Toro” — The Bull — will continue to develop and harness his strength as a power hitter and make a lasting impact on the Pirates’ offensive lineup.

After the midseason all-star game, crowds at PNC Park traditionally seem less enthusiastic about the players on the field than they did in spring months. Bobblehead dolls and postgame concerts bring fans to the seats. But the closing games of the 2010 season might bring more excitement than a fireworks show, as the young Pirates team exhibits an exuberant style of play that will hopefully lead a failing organization into improvement and winning.