Roundup of Pitt resources for new students

Hannah Levine | Staff Photographer
Bubbles float through the Panther Wellness Fair booths in front of the William Pitt Union on Sept. 13, 2023.

Acclimating to college life is often difficult. Pitt offers a variety of resources to help students, especially new and transfer students, adjust a little bit easier. The Pitt News has compiled an overview of some resources new students can utilize as they begin their journey at Pitt this semester. 

Division of Student Affairs

The Division of Student Affairs website is the go-to place for information about events, services and general information on resources that are available on campus. Student Affairs services include the Office of New Student Programs, which oversees first-year and new student events, the Office of Campus Recreation and even an office dedicated to supporting commuter students. 

Pitt Program Council

The Pitt Program Council plans and executes many events each semester for all Pitt students to attend. Past events include movie nights, coffee tastings and murder mystery games. You can follow the program council on Instagram to keep up with their upcoming events. 

University Counseling Center

The Counseling Center provides drop-in support services, group counseling, wellness workshops, short-term individual counseling and more for students. 

Pitt Pantry at the O’Hara Student Center
Students might struggle to balance eating healthy meals with college budgets, which is why the Pitt Pantry is available to all Pitt students, faculty and staff for free. It houses items such as canned goods, common household items and toiletries, fresh produce and shelf-stable food. Community members can visit the pantry up to two times per month. The pantry also has some gluten-free, lactose intolerant and halal options. 

Student Success Hub at 217 Langley Hall

The Student Success Hub offers study spots and on-demand academic coaching and hosts workshops geared to promote academic success. The Hub is a walk-in center. 

University Events Calendar

The University Events Calendar has information about the events happening on all campuses in one place. New events are added all the time, so be sure to check the calendar frequently when looking for something new to do. 

Panther Central at Litchfield Towers & Sutherland Hall

Panther Central is available 24/7 to answer any questions students may have about housing, transportation, daily living and everything in between.

Campus Recreation

The campus recreation website offers information about Pitt’s club and intramural sports, facility hours and group fitness classes. 

Disability Resources 

The Office of Disability Resources and Services provides information on requesting accommodations, reviewing policies and accessing resources for accessible parking, assistive technology and transportation.

Student Payment Center at G-9 Thackeray Hall 

The Student Payment Center is available to answer any financial aid and payment questions in-person or over the phone.

Office of International Services

The Office of International Services exists to provide support and resources to international students and their families. Their website contains tons of information and events geared specifically toward international students. 

Dining Services

Pitt’s Dine on Campus website provides tons of information regarding the operating hours of on-campus restaurants, nutrition information, meal memberships and more. 

Residence Life

For students who live in on-campus housing, getting connected with your dorm’s hall council can make meeting other people in your building a lot easier. Hall council plans fun events specific to each building/floor to help residents connect and engage with one another. 

Student Organizations Resource Center

The Student Organizations Resource Center’s website has a directory of more than 650 student organizations on campus and even has a calendar that consolidates all the student organization events on campus. 

University Health Clinic at Nordenberg Hall

The University Health Clinic provides several clinical services such as primary care, immunizations, gynecological care, psychiatry services and more. 

Pitt Arts

Pitt Arts is a great way to connect to the fine arts scene on and off campus. Pitt Arts offers many opportunities for free museum visits, attending free performances and getting discounted tickets to off-campus productions.

PittFund$Me

PittFund$Me is a database of real scholarships that are vetted by the University. The application allows you to answer a series of questions used to “match” you to scholarships that are tailored to you. Students can access this service through the MyPitt dashboard. 

Thriftsburgh at 111 O’Hara Student Center

Thriftsburgh is a student-run, on-campus thrift store that sells second-hand shoes, clothes and accessories. The store is open to all students, faculty and community members, and all items are sold for $10 or less. 

Career Center at 200 William Pitt Union

The Pitt Career Center offers workshops, interview prep, resume help, internship help and even drop-in services. Visit their website for more information on the upcoming spring Career and Internship Fair. 

Crisis Resources

If students are in need of immediate help, the Crisis Resource list provides information including the RAINN hotline, Crisis Text Line and the Trans Lifeline. These resources are available 24/7 for thos